Terminal integrated in Window Manager?

Hi there
I got a cool feature on my laptop: Above the opened window there is an integrated terminal (yes, it’s white letters on a black background), showing me exactly where I am in my somewhat complicated filetree.
I just can’t remember how I installed it or how I made it appear and Google didn’t do the trick for me. Does anyone know this feature and how to get there?
Your help is much appreciated, thank you in advance!

Can you get a screenshot and put it to your question?

My guess is you mean “Tilda”, a pull down terminal. You should already have it installed.

I believe you need to activate it in the StartUp Application.

To check just open a terminal and enter:

tilda

I know there is a package for caja-terminal (which probably has the functionality you’re looking for) in Fedora, but unfortunately I was unable to make it usable after converting it with alien in Ubuntu MATE.

A viable alternative for the time being is to follow this guide I wrote about using Nemo instead of Caja (use Webupd8’s PPA if on 16.04) and install package nemo-terminal, but I would hold off until further research is done on making caja-terminal a thing for Debian systems.

After, to modify terminal preferences open dconf-editor and change some things around in org.nemo.extensions.nemo-terminal.

I tried using caja-terminal from this git repo and here’s the error information that caja spat back at me;

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/overrides/Gtk.py:50: RuntimeWarning: You have imported the Gtk 2.0 module.  Because Gtk 2.0 was not designed for use with introspection some of the interfaces and API will fail.  As such this is not supported by the pygobject development team and we encourage you to port your app to Gtk 3 or greater. PyGTK is the recomended python module to use with Gtk 2.0
  warnings.warn(warn_msg, RuntimeWarning)
sys:1: PyGIWarning: Caja was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Caja', '2.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/caja-python/extensions/caja-terminal.py", line 62, in <module>
    gi.require_version('Vte', '0.0')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 106, in require_version
    (namespace, version))
ValueError: Namespace Vte not available for version 0.0

If anybody feels like appending upon that work (recent update was two days ago) then somebody with more programming experience than I, feel free to publish an update that will make this work with Caja in Ubuntu MATE and other Debian system.

It’s probably not what he was talking about. Though, if it was, erm, oops?

I really thought he was talking about nautilus-terminal.

Another note about tilda; It’s not integrated into the WM, it only looks that way. You can use tilda with any WM and it would look nice. Though, I find tilda useless for some use cases, especially for people who want tmux without needing to learn how to control everything via the keyboard, which terminator replicates quite well with GTK and at least in compiz, can be made so it occupies only the top half of the display with some tooling in ccsm's Window Rules and Place WIndows plugins.

The only thing missing in that case is the sliding animation and in exchange, one gets a parent window that can house multiple terminals (I refer to them as panes but w / e) and tabs within each.

Hi tiox

Yes, you’re right: it’s nautilus-terminal I’m looking for. On my laptop I’m working with linux mint. So I guess it’s bad luck as I prefer caja …

Had you tried Nemo? It’s pretty alright as a file manager. There are trade-offs here and there, but overall I think it would be a significant upgrade from Caja.

One feature I like in particular is Nemo’s capability to act upon another device without having to select it from the directory tree; If I plug a USB drive in I can copy or move to that device after I had selected my files, rather then select, copy, go to device then paste, which saves a few clicks and some hassle on slower systems.

Yes, I’m working on various computers and various systems, as I like to compare the possibilities between the distros. As I’m usually working on older computers and laptops I like especially the mate and cinnamon editions, never got my head around xfce and all the lightweights, but there are so many tastes …