Terrible wifi with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 (LTS) in MacBookPro

I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04.1 (LTS) in a MacBookPro. The wifi connects well and sometimes works fine, but it intermitently slows down incredibly, to the point that it cannot even load a website or complete an apt-get update. I've tried many of the solutions proposed online but I didn't find one that works. Do you have any advice?

This is the output of iwconfig, case it helps:

enp2s0    no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

wlp3s0b1  IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"VGV75198F526B"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 84:9C:A6:8F:52:6B   
          Bit Rate=115.6 Mb/s   Tx-Power=19 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=56/70  Signal level=-54 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:29999  Invalid misc:21413   Missed beacon:0

Thanks!

Hi
Please provide the output of the command:

sudo lshw -C net

Provide info on how the building and rooms are, where do you connect, what router do you have, if this happens on another OS too.

1 Like

Hello @sinderel

This can either be a physical issue (As mentionned by @malwaredpc) or something wrong with the OS. Chances are, it’s related to your physical environment and not Linux.

Here’s what I would do if I was in your situation:

1. boot Linux + connect wirelessly
  2. open a terminal (CTRL+ALT+T)
  3. type in the following command: sudo ping 8.8.8.8 -c 9999999

You should then see a bunch of requests poping up on screen. Let that run for a solid 2-5 minutes and then escape using CTRL+C.

You should get an average at the end with the amount of packet losts and transmitted. If you can also paste that in (alongside the other infos requested) we might be in a better position to help you out.

Cheers,

1 Like

Which model Macbook Pro is it? I used to run Ubuntu well on mine before I switched to a PC laptop.