THANK YOU for Ubuntu MATE

Hi everybody! I just wanted to say "Thank you" to all of you and of course to @Wimpy for this awesome OS. I installed it on an old 27", 2011 iMac and it's just amazing how it works and how it revitalized this old, but still nice machine. My computer flies now and I absolutely don't feel its age at all. Despite everything that was said about the Firefox snap in 22.04, I would also thank Mozilla and the snap team at Canonical for the massive improvements in the last release. It now feels snappy and absolutely well integrated with the rest of the system (I wish we had a global menu option, but nothing's perfect!). So thank you for the bottom of my heart for Ubuntu MATE and for giving us such a beautiful and well made distro!

5 Likes

I also found Firefox snap to be quite zippy. It is now my default browser. Been on Ubuntu MATE about a month - loads better than regular Ubuntu -- fast and nimble and way better use of resources

1 Like

@Marco_Boneff Global menu in macOS is a pain. Give yourself time to discover that there are better and more developed operating systems than macOS out there.

I never mentioned MacOS, but Global menus are absolutely the best feature of that OS for sure. I get that some people prefers hamburger menus or menubars into each window (which I find an absolute waste of vertical screen space) but for me Global menus should be kept available for those who want them. Unfortunately the snapped version of Firefox lacks this feature that was once present when Unity was the default DE for ubuntu.

Please don't conclude from your own opinion that everybody else has to love global menus.
Please check first out the name Ubuntu Mate and how the Mate Desktop works.

2 Likes

Not a fan of global menus. Tried it a while with the Cupertino theme. Used to use them back in UNITY days, but haven't used them since Ubuntu went with newer Gnome. But that's the great thing about Ubuntu MATE. There are so many options available. If you like global menus they are there for you to use. I can see why someone would want to use them though. All hail Ubuntu MATE!

1 Like

I've been using Linux since 2001, and GNOME 2 was my favourite desktop back in the days. Today I use different OS, and different DEs on different machines, so please don't assume that I'm a newbie here and I never saw anything different than macOS.
Nowadays I'm primarily using windows at work and Arch with GNOME in my personal Thinkpad. I, also have an M1 mac mini as a Family computer for my wife and my kids, and it's running MacOS. I recently revived an old 27"2011 iMac and Ubuntu MATE was the OS I choose for the project. It works like a charm with compiz for simple animations. (And yes, I enabled Global Menus, ok?). Unfortunately nowadays many apps don't support Global Menus (even simple menus ) anymore, so it's kind of a hacky experience, unfortunately.