The following packages have been kept back: libdrm-amdgpu1 libdrm2 libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libwayland-egl1-mesa?

Hi,

When I run the command sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y I get the following message at the end of my terminal window:

The following packages have been kept back:
  libdrm-amdgpu1 libdrm2 libegl1-mesa libgbm1 libgl1-mesa-dri
  libwayland-egl1-mesa

The result of software updater is as follows:

Why are these "updates" not being installed ?

Thanks

Try sudo apt-get dist-upgrade rather than a simple upgrade.

Upgrade will not update packages that need to install new ones (because the dependancies have changed), dist-upgrade will.

Hi, is it safe to run dist-upgrade on the raspberry pi2 ?

I’m not sure. Is there a reason it wouldn’t be safe? It’s fine on Raspbian but I’ve never used Ubuntu MATE on a Pi, so maybe there’s a specific reason not to do it that I’m unaware of?

In doubt, run the dist-upgrade command without the -y option that you used in your original command and you’ll see the list of packages that will be installed/updated before being asked to confirm (or cancel).

But if the current versions of your packages can’t be updated because of new dependancies, you won’t be able to do it with a simple apt-get upgrade.

Alright, thanks.

I think that I read somewhere before that because of a Pi’s specific hardware a dist-upgrade could mess things up. I’ll have to research it more. Thanks for the suggestion.

That’s a bit weird. Maybe you saw advice not to use dist-upgrade because it updates every package that can be, including new versions of the kernel when available?

Yup, you’re right, it was something to do with updating the kernel.

However, I ran dist-upgrade as you suggested and all is well now, thanks ! :grinning: