Things I dealt with - Mate 15.10 + Compiz

For general knowledge, here are some things I bumped into when installing a clean 15.10 Mate. Some are/were issues, others were preferences. I’m a heavy Compiz user, with a highly tweaked profile - I keep different sets of applications running on different faces of the cube. So many of these items are only going to be issues for a few people if any.

First, I’m very happy to be moving all of my machines to Mate - it’s really been frustrating to deal with Ubuntu’s wet dreams the last two or three years, and Mate is really bringing me back to a solid environment that I can stick with. So kudos to the team! :slight_smile:

FYI, I export my CCSM preferences whenever I make a change I want to keep permanent, so I can just import the preferences again.

• I miss Emerald - my environment was strongly adapted, but … I got a reasonable desktop set up after tweaking the Mate theme and panels etc. I think the only thing I really still miss is transparency of the window frame (and my old Emerald theme, of course). No Mate themes seem to support that, but I could be wrong.

• IMHO the Mate Appearance/theme editor lacks a lot of customization that I’d like to have. But I’m aware that most people would just be confused if it were there.

• middle button did not work to rotate the Cube. In my old setup, when in a window the middle button acted like a regular middle button, but outside of a window it rotated the Cube. As far as I can tell, Mate does not support this context-switching (I’m not sure how I got it working that way on my old system). I tried a dozen or so different alternatives using Mate Tweak, and somehow during this process I managed to get Rotate Cube working with the middle button - but now I can’t use the middle button to do X11 Paste, since the context switching isn’t there. I can, of course, use the Edit menu copy/paste so that’s OK. For me, the ability to rotate the cube with only the mouse is important - the keyboard is often out of reach or my other hand is busy with something else.

• After basic installation with a ‘new’ user setup, I moved my old user account over to the new machine. Now there are some duplicate items in the menus, some of which don’t work, often because the app hasn’t been installed yet - fair enough!

• My workstation is set up with a fixed IP address. When I was first installing 15.10 I allowed it to be set up with DHCP, just to get things running. Then I tried to change this. But the Network tool in Administration is crippled and basically useless. After some effort and research I finally found a way - I created /etc/systemd/network/static.network and put the following into it. After a few reboots etc. this finally took effect. (It may have been possible to do this by editing the configuration for the NetworkManager daemon (afaik there’s no runnable interface any more) but if so I didn’t figure it out. I did not find any other solution online, but there may have been one.)

[Match]
Name=enp4s0

[Network]
DHCP=no
Address=192.168.2.11/24
Gateway=192.168.2.1

• somewhere along the way Ubuntu Software Center stopped working - clicking on the menu item has no effect. I couldn’t figure out what the underlying program name is to try to run it from the command line, and I’ve been using Synaptic mostly and apt-get sometimes anyhow, so this is still a pending item but no biggy.

• finally, I thought I might try Redmine. I was unable to get it working because it required jquery-rails, which required ruby-2.2.2, while this distribution only has ruby-2.1.x. I muddled about for a while trying to figure out how to do ruby upgrades but finally just tossed it.

So that’s my story. This has not been more problematic than installs of many other things, so this is just a collection of things I ran into for others’ amusement. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Welcome to the community! Thanks for sharing the feedback. :slight_smile:

Compiz is great when it works, it helped resolve my screen tearing but it was an awful crasholic when it was first introduced to this flavour. It was actually down to a few problematic plug-ins.

Sadly, I can't switch my window borders to one of the Ambience Colours themes under Compiz. Something is incompatible. :frowning:

Just a few things that may be useful for you:

Emerald works!

Those entries might be hiding in ~/.local/share/applications/. Have a poke in there. There's also the Main Menu, which stores "undo" files in there too.

I don't understand what went wrong here, but the Edit Connections option from the network applet should have done the job just fine:

Followed by disconnecting, then reconnecting from the network applet.

Thanks! WRT the network, when I originally went to Edit Connections, the editing was blocked - I couldn’t modify anything. Only after I did the manual thing, then the form was editable. I had forgotten about that step - the manual edit didn’t actually work, but it did change the editability of the Edit Connections panel. Weird, but all good in the end.

Also, (I had forgotten about this as well) I was initially confused because there is a ‘Network’ item under Administration, which does little or nothing useful except it allowed me to add my workstation as a host. So for those who follow, the Network Connections panel in Preferences:Internet and Network is the one you want. :slight_smile:

[quote=“gar37bic, post:1, topic:3937, full:true”]…

• middle button did not work to rotate the Cube. In my old setup, when in a window the middle button acted like a regular middle button, but outside of a window it rotated the Cube. As far as I can tell, Mate does not support this context-switching (I’m not sure how I got it working that way on my old system). I tried a dozen or so different alternatives using Mate Tweak, and somehow during this process I managed to get Rotate Cube working with the middle button - but now I can’t use the middle button to do X11 Paste, since the context switching isn’t there. I can, of course, use the Edit menu copy/paste so that’s OK. For me, the ability to rotate the cube with only the mouse is important - the keyboard is often out of reach or my other hand is busy with something else.
    …[/quote]
    For anyone else wanting to get Rotate Cube working with middle mouse button, it’s easy … when you know where to look :wink:

CompizConfig Settings Manager > Viewport Switcher > Desktop-based Viewport Switching

The 3 settings at the bottom need to be:

Initiate plugin action - Button2
Plugin for initiate action - rotate
Action name for initiate - initiate_button

As well as Viewport Switcher you will also need Desktop Cube enabled ( obviously :wink: ) and also Rotate Cube.

Then clicking and holding middle mouse button while moving the mouse will enable ‘3D’ rotation of the cube.

BTW, if you want to just switch viewports with the mouse ( rather than spin up the whole cube ) you may want to try this. Simply placing mouse on desktop and scrolling will move you right/left through the viewposts. Great for a quick copy-‘n’-paste across windows in different viewports.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that. :slight_smile:

… Hmm. No effect. I think there is a conflict somewhere between Mate/X and Compiz. Also I need to try a different mouse - maybe the middle button has died! :stuck_out_tongue:

Your last clue was also helpful - I can use the scroll wheel to rotate easily now. I don’t get the nice 3D window effect etc. where I can see the windows underneath (it happens …) but it’s at least a nice alternative!

Aha. Also, “D’oh!” I had a sneaking suspicion as noted in my previous reply - it turned out that my mouse’s middle button (scroll wheel, button2) is in fact intermittent. :stuck_out_tongue: It sometimes works if you press hard enough. So much of my problem turned out to be stupid hardware issues. I thought I had remembered having the issue with my other, corded mouse, but I must have been mistaken.

So my setup has gone back mostly to my original way - button2 in Rotate Cube and as suggested, button4 and button5 for move left and move right in Viewport Switcher. I also tried both with and without Viewport Switcher / Initiate Plugin (Ignoring conflict), and it works the same either way.

I’m not sure if there is any difference between the Viewport Switcher/Initiate Plugin and Rotate Cube /Binding - it appears not.

So all is well in this regard - I’m still dealing with retaining compiz settings and some issues with the window decoration but that’s a different topic.

So, thanks! :slight_smile: