This program won't work on the Brisk Menu [solved]

So, I’ve just finished installing my preferred (Windows exclusive) video editing program, VSDC, into Ubuntu Mate 18.04 (i386) via PlayOnLinux. This is by far the biggest barrier preventing me from making Mate my daily driver.

There’s just one minor issue. While the desktop link to the program works, nothing else actually seems to activate it. The reason this is a problem for me is because I would like to add it to the Brisk Menu alongside every other program I’ve installed for the sake of convenience.

The .desktop program doesn’t seem to work when added to said menu, and neither do any of the .exe files in home/user/PlayOnLinux’s virtual drives/VSDC/drive-c/Program Files/FlashIntegro/VideoEditor.

If anyone knows how to make the appropriate file work in the menu, it would be much appreciated.

That’s normal: Wine is very specific to setup and PlayOnLinux does it in its own way. Basically, if you just click on the .exe through Caja, it will run with the default Wine setup and not the one made by POL. Without getting too technical, let’s just say that if you install a game/app through POL, you have to run it through POL.

Now, you’re talking about a desktop link that works: is it a shortcut made by POL (to launch it without using its interface)? If so, can you give its content? You should be able to open it with Pluma: launch it, drag the icon from the shortcut on the desktop in its window and if you get content that starts with “[Desktop Entry]”, paste it here.

you should be able to add it manually to the menu by right clicking on menu and selecting edit menu. Then you’ll need to select the menu heading you want to add it to and select add new Item.
you’ll need to copy the command from the desktop Icon by right clicking on it and going to properties.
copy the command line and paste it in the command line on the new item. You may have to search the Internet for the appropriate Icon. and download it to a location in your /home directory then select it for the menu Icon. Hope this helps, good luck.

‘you’ll need to copy the command from the desktop Icon by right clicking on it and going to properties.
copy the command line and paste it in the command line on the new item.’

Right here was the problem. I was adding it by clicking the ‘New Item’ button and just selecting it from Caja. I figured that’d add the command too, but apparently not. Thanks though!

hope it works for you, good luck.