Thunar settings keep reverting

I set my thunar settings to view as list, show hidden files etc.

However, whenever I reopen a directory, those settings are lost?

How do I repair that?

I have always found that to be an issue with Thunar, to be honest. I think it’s just the way it is set up. That is to say, the universal settings apply across all folders. If you then set an individual folder up, on the fly, with individual settings, the next time you open it, it will have reverted to the universal setting.

This is one of the reasons I use Caja. Because it remembers individual folder settings.

1 Like

It never occurred with 16.04.

Thunar has more features than Caja.

For instance, you can copy and paste from the address bar when going to a directory.

You can’t with Caja.

Fair enough. The last time I used Thunar was with 12.04 and a little time with 14.04. The issue I wrote of was present then, at least for me.

I will see if Ask Ubuntu can help.

They have a large following.

Have you tried in Thunar, Edit> Preferences, then in the first window, under “Default View”, “View New Folders Using”, then either choose your preference or choose “Last Active View”.

Both the View type and whether hidden files are showed all stay as they are for me under MX Linux, but the default View type does need to be set in Preferences. Hope it works for you under MATE.

Thanks. I will try it.