Thunderbird 102 to TB 115

I have Thunderbird installed as a Deb. The 102.13.0 version
So I understand that updating to 115 means uninstall and install the new one. Right ?

W

Info here: update of previous coming

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/115.0.1/releasenotes/

Edit: The page downloads a tar file. Did not look up how to uninstall my existing tar 102 file and will just wait and when released will update with no fuss. Unless you have issue that is fixed in release notes on page above. Just a personal choice.

2 Likes

I'm finding 115 clunky and unstable. I assume there will be instructions somewhere on how to revert.

At my end here it is not that it is clunky or unstable (I am on UM23.10)
But it takes a little while to get used to the changes from previous version.
Even after a few weeks from the upgrade I was still into this "where is it again" blank stare from time to time. What were "automatic" routine has to be updated also. But doing fine.
I don't see the need for this "Ctrl-K" showing in the search bar, by the way

W

1 Like

Ubuntu MATE 23.10 & Thunderbird 115.4.1:

• no uninstall / re-install - update to UM 23.10 did everything the right way
  • no issues, no crashes - works as expected
  • UI is "relaxed" compared to previous versions - definitely better, but this is my opinion
  • some changes to the buttons / position of some UI elements - already got used with them
  • @Watford: the "Search... CTRL + K" is shown in the "Search Bar" - but I do not use "Search" very often; (old-school) organisation of folders / mails is a better solution for me
  • Address Book list view has been fixed - I use a really big font size as default - in previous versions the Address Book list view was a nightmare

The features I mostly use in Thunderbird:

• receive and read mails from different accounts
  • calendar & events & tasks & birthdays - yes, using Thunderbird and not on the mobile phone
  • importing / exporting mails (directly or via plugin) with issues and debugging their source code (usually Outlook mess)

N.B. writing or replying to / forwarding mails - rarely; I use WhatsApp as Web app in the browser to stay in touch with people (rarely on the mobile)

1 Like

update to UM 23.10 did everything the right way: YEP
no issues, no crashes - works as expected: YEP
UI is "relaxed" compared to previous versions: Better Space Use
Already got used with them: That took me a bit to get used
I do not use "Search" very often: Emails from 2018 'til now... means search can be useful
Using WhatsApp as Web app: Same. and simply because many people use it

2 Likes