TLP, Powertop, etc. not installed by default in Ubuntu MATE 18.04

Battery life is not good as Ubuntu MATE 16.04 in my DELL Inspiron 3542. Just today I flashed Bionic Beaver 18.04 Ubuntu MATE.
tlp was pre installed and activated in 16.04 LTS. But it is not there in 18.04 LTS. I am aware that I could install it? But I would like to know why?
Is it already decided to not include it in LTS release?

1 Like

Powertop is cpu specific, so not something I want to ship by default. TLP now requires a mail server, again not something I’m going to ship by default.

That said, power management in the kernel has improved significantly in the last couple of years and I know that upcoming HWE kernels for Ubuntu 18.04 will be enabled with the great power saving features. We’ll be sure to present that upgrade in Ubuntu MATE Welcome when they’re available :smiley:

11 Likes

That’s great! Thanks @Wimpy for the information. Great experience so far with Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS. :smiley:

@Wimpy I have TLP installed and running. When those mentioned kernel updates come, do you know if TLP will somehow interfere with them? Would it be advisable to remove TLP when that time comes?

You could always try removing TLP to see if you don’t need it anymore, but I don’t expect that the changes shouldn’t cause any problems with TLP.

1 Like