TOR Will NOT install - NEW Kind of NOT INSTALL

Yeah - I read all of the other "Tor won't install" here and at Git and at itsfoss. Gits are too old, closed and can't start a new question cause they close it cause it was asked 10 years ago ! So, with that said: I did the following - again.

1. sudo add-apt-repository universe && sudo apt update
    then
    sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher
  2. After clicking on launcher, it took 15 minutes before "Downloading and installing Tor browser for the first time" showed up (actually, it's now the 9th time in two days!)

YES, I purged it, rebooted then tried another trial and error from another site.

1. About 22 minutes later, the same error "Signature verification failed".

I've been trough to many sites to count that state "Easily install Tor in any Linux...". I did the:
sudo add-apt-repository universe process.

So, what with the failure? Neither the Internet nor Google can provide a install other than the one that was written and plagiarized by 129,999 other sites.

Help - I really would like to get of this merry-go-round that is nothing "merry" about it.

~i~

You did not say what version of Ubuntu MATE you are using.

Based on your statements in this post it appears you are seeing the gpg keyring server error. The last closed issue on micahlee's github was in October 2019 so I'm not seeing any issues you have opened that were closed recently: https://github.com/micahflee/torbrowser-launcher/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed

The author of the torbrowser-launcher program states on his github page:

"Are you getting an error? Sometimes updates in Tor Browser itself will break Tor Browser Launcher. There's a good chance that the problem you're experiencing has already been fixed in the newest version. Try installing from Flatpak (instructions below), or build from source."

On the bottom of this page he offers instructions for installing via a PPA or a flatpak.

I am including his PPA instructions for brevity:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:micahflee/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

Good luck

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

Because it was deleted by Git kahuna.

I ran the sudo to install today, yesterday, day before and day before that. I don't think I can get any newer than that.

Isn't there just a simple way, without the launcher launching the installer that installs TOR?? Can't one just download and unpack a zip and run ''TOR''s own installer without a 3rd party launcher?

I'm not the only one with this problem as several are listed recently, not closed, at Git, AskUbuntu and Google had a list as well.

Thanks for being there,
~i~

I do understand the frustration in not having things work as easy as you'd like it to.

The Tor network and the Tor Browser are both complex projects.

With the issues you are having I think the best ways for you to move forward using the Tor Browser is to either install using the PPA or the flatpak.

I don't understand......

You should be able to download the binary image from the "Tor Project" website and verify it's signature manually. See https://support.torproject.org/tbb/how-to-verify-signature/

I did just that and got: gpgv: Good signature from "Tor Browser Developers (signing key) [email protected]"

Note that you need to use the correct version of the files

gpgv --keyring ./tor.keyring ~/Downloads/tor-browser-linux64-9.0.5_en-US.tar.xz{.asc,}

9.0.5 instead of 9.0 as shown in the example

I then extracted the downloaded archive and ran the "start-tor-browser.desktop" file.

What am I missing? Why do I need a launcher?

djb

You don't need a launcher. The advise was for the OP who it appears wanted a solution like the torbrowser-launcher which will handle installation, keys, etc automatically.

Using Ubuntu MATE 19.10, I had installed torbrowser-launcher and after following some basic setup, I am very able to configure and use the browser.

At the moment, I think my exit node is somewhere in Romania as I reply with this very post. So I know not how to resolve your problem, but I do suggest trying on a different version of Ubuntu whenever you can.

It was suggested that I try other versions of Ubuntu - but that means loosing the files and data I do have. And the time to install, uninstall, try another just to get the right place with the right version with the right key-ring (whatever that is for) is time constraint restrictive (borrowed that one from a politician) :slight_smile:

After trying various links and tracking down just what a PPA or the flatpak is, and realizing just how complex you meant it is, I gave up. No Tor, because of the constant ^%$%#$ error that is also the bane of many attempts by many other users; that of the keyring issue popping up after a very long wait installing, and at 90%, becomes as useful as a politician.
It's as complex and frustrating as it is setting up a network by having to set up a server first, just to share files between Windoze and Ubuntu which is also a task for the well-experienced Ubuntuer

No network to Windoze, + no Tor = no use for Ubuntu. But, it's the only box that can connect at 300 MBPS so for downloading movies, it's a great tool, else...

Sorry for spending so much of people's time here, and apologize for my lack of knowledge and understanding of terminology. Ir is indeed a whole new world. I've been infected with Windoze, detest it, and hoped for a better life with a product that was easy as Win.

In my down time, I hope to learn more, but frankly, disappointed that it is so complex, and so much time is needed to understand the terminology.

I won't give up, just waiting to build the courage to start reading, reading, trying, failing, reading reading.... It's not fun any more.
~i~

Hidden due to tangential relevance — T&E ≠ fun.The fun kind of leaves with trial and error. Part of the reason I suck the fun out of everything when I do something is to take the hit for somebody else. It took me a solid few days of 💦💦💦💦 around before I made a mistake which told me of other packages through bash's autocomplete function, which led me to packages that can substitute `python-dev` in Ubuntu 20.04 just so I can build Compiz 0.8 on the LTS preview.

I eventually worked through it, updated my post on Compiz Reloaded (0.8) and I hope that someone encounters this advice, in such a long-winded post about an outdated, but still-maintained piece of software. Wish you luck in your endeavours!

1 Like

Not sure if you are willing to do this (dual boot), but I dual boot Parrot OS, which is Debian, a rolling release and has "anon surf" and the "TOR browser" already installed. I have found this the easiest way to use TOR and have privacy and security. I keep Ubuntu Mate as my main OS for most applications.

If you have the resources it might be worth a try, but you will need to educate yourself a bit on rolling releases, and Parrot can a be a bit challenging at times compared to Ubuntu. I have found it best to wait for the installed updater to do the updates to avoid troubles, and do no to very little tinkering.