Toshiba Chromebook, keyboard problem

I have installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Lts 32bit on my Toshiba Chromebook. The keys on the top wont work as they should. Arrows, light up and down, sound key wont work. I can’t fint out how to change it. On a Chromebook there is no F keys, I guess this is the problem.

Hi @Laffen_EK,

have you checked Ask Ubuntu out?:

I search with Google… But askUbuntu. COM I’m not sure. Thanks for tip. I do not use crouton and dual boot, only Ubuntu Mate. I’m a little scared to run script from internet that I don’t know What do.

1 Like

Just for reference AskUbuntu is supported by Canonical and a excellent source of information about Ubuntu and its flavors.

Another source is Googlubuntu.

Sorry, but I have not ran Ubuntu in a chromebook and can’t help you with that. I can just point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @anon42388993,

me too, I have no idea what one looks like to be honest!. :smiley:

2 Likes

You could try FascinatingCaptain’s tweaked keyboard mapping found in his Github repo:

https://github.com/fascinatingcaptain/CBFixesAndTweaks

Related blog post:

http://www.fascinatingcaptain.com/blog/automate-chromebook-fixes-for-linux/

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m sorry to say that I changes my Linux distro. I really liked Ubuntu Mate, but on my Chromebook I decided to change to GalliumOS Linux. This distro is made for Chromebooks. I think I’m going to try Ubuntu Mate on my Raspberry Pi 3, when I get it up and running…

Thanks for all help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome, @Laffen_EK. And no need to apologize. Unless, of course, you say “I’m going to switch to Windows” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No, I was sorry that I could not use Ubuntu Mate on my chromebook. Because I liked this distro. But I dig up my daugthers old HP Probook 4330s from 2012, and Ubuntu Mate run perfectly on that machine :slight_smile:

Laffen.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the chromebook, but looks like something good came out of it: the Probook got a new lease on life and you ended up using Ubuntu MATE after all. :grin:

1 Like

Big surprise (for me) :slight_smile: After tweak’ing with Ubuntu Mate on the HP I realized that it would work on my Toshiba Chromebook to. So I tried again and now I have 2 new/old pc’s with Ubuntu Mate that funktion very good! So my donation is payed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic. On both accounts!

Another workaround is to use the layout from GalliumOS on Ubuntu MATE. Works in 22.04 in my Acer Chromebook.

2 Likes