Toshiba Portege M400: Getting the "multi-function" button (thumbstick) working

Hello to all.

I have a small collection of Toshiba Portege M400 pen-tablet laptops and am currently working toward getting all tablet-related functions working as expected. The majority of these haven’t been a problem – the tablet itself is a Wacom serial type and worked out of the box, and handling screen rotation was achieved by mapping a button to a script – but there’s one function button I haven’t been able to get working yet: the “multi-function” button, which is a thumstick/joystick on the bottom of the screen bezel.

What I’d like to be able to do is get this emulate a mouse so that moving the stick moves the mouse pointer, and depressing/clicking the button itself acts as a left-click or enter. The problem is that each movement of the stick is regarded by the OS as a two-key combination: either Super_R+[a number key] when checking through xev, or Mod4+[a number key] in the Keyboard Shortcuts control panel. I have no idea how to map those key combos to “mouse pointer up”, “mouse pointer left”, etc. Anyone have any experience in this arena?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

While I have no experience myself, you might want to check out something called xmodmap to change what that action does.

I’ve been playing around with xmodmap and it doesn’t appear to provide a solution. Due to the way the OS interprets the keystroke combination generated by the thumbstick, I can’t seem to map it to any mouse pointer actions (or the keyboard’s standard up-down-left-right keys) without either getting no results at all, or screwing up some other keyboard input – the top-row 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 keys most specifically.

Oh well… it’s more of a nice-to-have thing than something critical, so I’m not too put out by leaving it as it stands.