TP-Link AC600 Archer T2UH version 2 help

I am attempting to install the wifi dongle Archer T2UH but I have been extremely unsuccessful in getting it setup. I have searched the forums but all of the solutions did not work in getting the dongle installed on my pi 3 b+.

I have just created a new SDcard with the latest version of Ubuntu Mate on it.

Can someone please assist me in getting this dongle installed?

1. is the system recognising that the hardware is present - if so, what id it shown as (use lsusb)
  2. are there drivers for the hardware for ubuntu?

Yes, the dongle is showing up when I run lsusb command. Currently I am at work and I cannotget the ID but I know that it uses the MT7610U chipset driver. The drivers that I was attempting to use are the ones provided for Ubuntu on TP-Link's website.

After making my initial posting I discovered that the version of Ubuntu that the drivers are written for is for an older version of Ubuntu. I believe that the drivers on the website are for 14 and since I am running the latest version of Mate which is 18 I am thinking that this is my issue. I am currently in the process of attempting to reinstall Mate but this time run the older version 14.

I'll post back if I have more issues and I will also post back my success so that the next person can have an easier time.