Trouble Downloading Xyphos and YouVersion

I've used Ubuntu for some time and about version 14 changed to MATE UBUNTU no problems until I decided to clean out my Laptop then I loaded Ubuntu Mate 19.04 .All went reasonable well until I tried to load 'Xyphos' and 'You version' both of which have used successfully on various earlier Ubuntu and Mate editons . When I went to the respective download pages I seemed to end up on a never ending circle/cycle getting nowhere often ending up back where I began!!!. If anyone has any suggestions (even alternative bible study programs) I would be grateful only please keep it very simple :-/ I am getting older so not quite keeping up with tech :wink:

Hi Tony.

I looked at Xyphos and could not locate it. I was able to find xiphos which apparently is a Bible study software. However I was unable to locate any linux software called You version however a web search leads to Bible study related programs.

xiphos is in the Ubuntu repositories. You can install it by opening a terminal and entering the following:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install xiphos

You will see the following (or something similar):

The following additional packages will be installed:
libbiblesync1.1 libsword-1.8.1 libsword-common xiphos-data
Suggested packages:
sword-text
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libbiblesync1.1 libsword-1.8.1 libsword-common xiphos xiphos-data
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 5,081 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Hit Y to continue the install

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that I'll try it out shortly and let you know how I
get on. Name errors mine your quite right it is Xiphos and other
is YouVersion thanks will get back to you

It seems to me the most appropriate way to study the Bible is to read the Bible with a pastor. Only a pastor can help you understand the true meaning of the holy Bible; therefore, it will be better if you find a pastor with whom you can read Bible fragments daily. I have addressed this to the pastor of our church, and you can also get his help, including online. You can go to firstchurchlove.com, see the schedule of online classes, and join the online parishioners of our church. God bless you!