Trouble in installing UbuntuMate

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to install a just downloaded RaspberryPI UbuntuMate image on my PI3, normally running well with Raspbian without any issue.
After the poweron at the first startup, the image is resized as expected (to 16 Gbytes)
After this step, the startup process starts, but it shows exactly the same messages as displayed in this Ubuntu post :

“failed to start load kernel module” first of all.

After this, the process show Plymouth boot screen but it goes in a neverending loop and it doesn’t reach the raspi-config step (no way of creating user).
I see, in any case, that something happens on network side, because the Raspberry gets the IP address from my DHCP.
The same happens both using HDMI TV and HDMI monitor. The PI PowerSupply is able to give 3A
No idea regarding what I have to do, any help strongly appreciated.

Thank-you, regards
Ugo

I haven’t experienced this.
Usually it proceeds, and creates the user of your choice on the way.
I think I’ve had kernel module load failures occur, but (apparently) not in a vital way, so the process continued to a normal start.
I suggest you think in terms of a corrupt download, or a SD card problem.
Derek

Hello Darek,

thank-you for the quick answer.
Unfortunately I have already downloaded the image twice from scrarch, cloning in again, being afraid of corruption, and I tested it both on the PI3 and on PI2B with the same result… :frowning:
The SD card is the same (but a new one…) : I will try to use another SD… Really strange, in any case…

Regards
Ugo

Perhaps it has something to do with how you are writing the image to the microSD. I have found that using gnome-disk-utility, as instructed in the following link, seems to write with out errors every time.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/

Hello Steven,

Thank-you for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I’m cloning the image using Win32 Disk Imager from a Win7 machine : till now it has always run well when burning Raspbian images…

Regards

Ugo

Hello UGO_PODDINE,
I have exactly same problem, i tried with Win32DiskImager and with ddrescue console command and result is the same :
Failed to start load kernel modules

I tried with different SD card and different image downloaded ....

Hello Thierry,

Happy to be not alone….

I have not well understood if your change of SD card (and different image : which one ? An old one ? I’m using the “ubuntu-mate-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi “) got some positive result…

Cheer

Ugo

Sorry my english is very bad,
It’s not better with another SD Card and another image file.
But it seems better now :
I commented, in /etc/modules-load.d/cups-filters.conf, 3 failed modules (lp, ppdev and parport_pc) which are not used with Raspi3.
I hope it will be good for you.
Regards
Thierry

You have not exactly same default, sorry, cause is not like me …