Trouble updating to 18.04 LTS from 17.10

I'm running 17.10 and waited too long to upgrade... I'm trying to upgrade to 18.04

When I do a software update or apt-get update, it would fail with:
E: The repositoryubuntu artful-updates Release' does not have a Release file.

So, I updated the repository list to old-release.ubuntu.com. Now I'm able to to apt-get update, etc.

However, I cannot get the update manager to prompt me to update to the new release. It just says that everything is up to date. Also tried running check new release, but it fails:
check-new-release-gtk:30: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
from gi.repository import Gtk
WARNING:root:timeout reached, exiting

Checked this topic, but none of the options there seem to be working for me either: Trouble upgrading from 16.04 to 18.04

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Don't upgrade. Reinstall. Upgrading always nearly always goes wrong in some way, in my experience. Additionally, the time it takes to upgrade is more or less the same time, or longer, than the time it takes to reinstall anyway. And i am not even including the time it takes to fix problems that have arisen as a consequence of an upgrade.

2 Likes

The correct address is old-releases.ubuntu.com
Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list manually or from Software & Updates (software-properties-gtk) and run

sudo apt-get update # update package cache
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade # install newest dependencies for 17.10
sudo do-release-upgrade # upgrade to 18.04 LTS
1 Like