Trying to Boot from SSD

@Sparks yesterday I was being lazy when I posted that workaround idea. Didnt know whether it would work.
Today I tried it. AND ...IT...WORKED...LIKE...A...CHARM!!

You will need to be able to edit the /boot/cmdline.txt file.
Login to Raspberry Pi OS on a sd card and from there you should be able to use the quirk

I have an update! I purchased a Silicon Power M.2 SSD and a StarTech external case and it booted from USB 3.0. I am elated.

1 Like

you should be able to use your other ssd too
check the method I posted above

OK I did the commands over, but not sure where I went wrong. Please look at my screenshots. I am thinking that the tutorial is for just getting the best speed for the SSD, not for booting the SSD.

Sorry for the delayed reply. As I mentioned, I am not an expert at this. But we can take it step by step.
I assume you are trying to boot through the old SSD, not the Silicon Power M.2.
So do not connect that one.
Secondly, load Raspberry Pi OS on a Micro SD card and boot from there.
After that carry out the procedure as mentioned.
I also do not see any other text in the cmdline.txt. I think There was some text in the file which I edited.
Make sure that you are editing the cmdline.txt which is present on the SSD.

I would suggest to reload the SSD with fresh copy of Ubuntu Mate before proceeding with any of the above. If that doesnt work, I really am sorry I don't have any other suggestion. It just worked for me.

OK I did that my mistake was I did it using Mate not Raspberry Pi OS. That worked, thanks.

1 Like

Glad to hear. I never thought that such cross platform tricks would work.

Now I am waiting to hear from LoveRPI as my Pi 4 B HDMI has failed. I only bought it a month ago. Oh well I am annoyed.

Good information thanks for sharing
vmware

Didn't help the RPi 3 USB boot problem with the current Mate image - 20.04.1/20.10. The older 18.04.2-beta1 works fine.