Trying to install Ubuntu MATE next to Windows XP

I'm trying to install Ubuntu MATE 14.04 on my around 10 years old pc with Windows XP on them. I want to do dual boot, just in case I still need something on it. I never done any installation of OS before, so I'm a bit clueless as to what I need to do and need some help please.

So far I have backup all my data I still have on it and defragmented both C and D drives. When I trying to see if I could split my D drive (I have 48GB of used space and 65,5GB of unused space, from which I would like to take 40GB away for UM) I notice that it's not it's own partition but logical drive (from C I guess?) and I can't do that.

Should I make free space before I start installation of the new OS?

I have burn a dvd at slowest possible speed 4x on laptop I use now with Brasero. Then I wanted to put it on my desired pc and I got the first screen when there is only 2 icons at the beginning of installation and then got Ubuntu MATE written on and bellow those 5 dotes that change while you waiting. But then I got stuck with the message from the photo

What should I do next?

(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

This is likely due to the BIOS’s configuration that’s preventing Ubuntu MATE from locating the disk.

Enter the BIOS Setup by holding a key (commonly DEL, F2, or ESC) when you turn on the computer. Look for a setting for the Controller Mode (may be under “Advanced BIOS Features”) - I would assume it’s set to IDE, change it to ACHI and try booting the Live DVD again.

Once the first issue is solved, Ubuntu MATE will be needing it’s own partition to call home. :smile: There is a graphical utility on the disk named GParted, which can be accessed from System → Administration → GParted on the live session’s desktop.

Re-sizing partitions with data already on them may take a long time, that’s because it will be re-locating data so it fits inside the new partition layout - Do not interrupt this process, as you will likely lose data, it’s also recommended to perform a chkdsk on Windows after the resize has completed too.

Also some other notes:

• GParted uses MiB (1024 MiB = 1 GiB) instead of MB (1000 MB = 1 GB), just to be aware.
  • Ubuntu MATE by default also creates a swap partition the size of your RAM. This is equivalent of the “paging file” in Windows, but resides on its own partition.

If there is still a problem after changing the BIOS settings or you’re unsure on the partitioning step, let us know! :slight_smile:

I don’t mind if it takes long time as long as it’s done correctly. So that would mean I need to take around 37 or maybe even 38 GiB away. From here on will it create swap itself or do I have to do it manually? It only has 512MB of ram, so that wont be big. I’m guessing there will be some notice when this will be completed. This is all done in live session right? Then how do I get to do chkdsk on Windows?

Will try to get to BIOS now and see If I’m able to find those settings. Will ask if I have more questions later or what to do after those things. Thanks for help so far. :smile:

I got to BIOS, I believe I'm in the right part, but now I'm not sure which one I should change?

From here on will it create swap itself or do I have to do it manually?

Yes to the first part, you should find the installation wizard will say “Install Ubuntu MATE alongside Windows XP” instead of “Erase disk and install Ubuntu MATE”, as the wizard takes care of that for you when it detects unpartitioned space.

This is all done in live session right? Then how do I get to do chkdsk on Windows?

Partitioning (shrinking your existing ones) is done in the live session. Windows XP shouldn’t complain, but it’s best to let itself correct itself before you start using Windows again, open the command prompt and type:

chkdsk /f D:

(Changing D: to the drive letter of the shrunken partition)

As for the BIOS, the option isn’t there just from your screenshots. Check the other sub-options screens, you should find the option or similar options relating to the controller mode. Take more photos if you like. :smile:

One more possibility… It is also possible that the DVD is a faulty copy, You’d know this if the same error appears on other computers.

Well I couldn't find those settings anywhere, here are few photos if you can spot it somewhere?

So after partition is done (when I get that far...) I should first install UM or do XP check?

I tried to put DVD on old windows 7 laptop, which haven’t been turn on for months as I’m really happy with my new OS :smile:, but looks like it isn’t set to run from DVD first, because I got right back to Windows, so I would need to change boot settings there too I guess … oh the joy as I not very familiar with those settings. I could also try and see if it would work on that laptop I’m currently using and have UM 15.10 on it?
Or download ISO again and burn another DVD maybe trying it on XP, I believe I have some version of Nero program for burning there.

The computer should have a “one-off boot menu”, usually F12, F8 or ESC, saving the hassle of hunting for “boot priority” or “boot order”. (They’re so many different names! :open_mouth: )

The safest way would be:

1. Re-size your partitions to leave unallocated space for Ubuntu MATE (and swap) – May take an hour or so!
  2. Perform a chkdsk on Windows to ensure data integrity of the shrunken drives.
  3. Proceed to install Ubuntu MATE with “alongside Windows XP” option.

So… back to the BIOS. Sadly, none of these screenshots outline any mode for switching to ACPI :frowning: But there is another way that might work…

When you boot the disc, select your language as usual, then press F6 to open the “Other Options” menu. Highlight the option acpi=off and press spacebar to select it, then press ESC to close the menu. See if the disc boots with this disabled.

Thanks for that, didn’t know it… F8 gave me some additional options, but nothing I needed and in the end it was actually F9 for that, so I try it there and after a long time it did start up to try or install Ubuntu MATE and I manage to get to UM desktop, but laptop was really overheating, so I turn it off soon (one of the main reasons I got new one/beside being slow and getting blue screens randomly), but at least now I know that DVD works.

What disc, on pc or dvd?

Ok, maybe it would be better to do that tomorrow morning then, in case it takes more then an hour, but would just want to know if it works or not before.

The Ubuntu MATE disc, like so:

Toggling acpi=off (and noapic) with a checkmark may resolve the booting issue on your older system.

I didn’t get that image on your post last time I try it, only got to that photo http://www.muylinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Ubuntu-Mate.jpg

Will try again now, maybe it will work if I press F6.

So I tried to press F6 and all I got was screen full of Stdin: Not a typewriter

I then tried to record what's written when pc starts, first screen, but since it disappear so quickly I never manage to read it before. Maybe it could be helpful

second screen

I also tried to use F11 for Boot Menu and got floppy disc first then hdd and then cd/dvd unit, even if I selected that I still got to the same result in the end :disappointed:

Stdin: Not a typewriter is a pretty harmless message if it’s on its own, but I imagine if it’s littering the screen, there’s a problem reading the disc. Some drives just don’t like reading certain formats (eg. DVD+RW) or the drive itself isn’t being identified after it loads the kernel.

Have you got a USB Flash Drive? I will take a wild guess your system does not support booting from USB flash drives, but you can burn a disc (or even a floppy disk) that can boot to the USB drive.

PLoP Boot Manager can be written to a CD. I’ve used this before, it worked on an old 2003 Acer laptop. Might be worth a try writing Ubuntu MATE to a USB Drive (instructions here) instead of booting a DVD?

It does.

[quote=“lah7, post:13, topic:2601”]
Have you got a USB Flash Drive?
[/quote]That pc has several USB drives, I think it has at least 4 at the back of machine, and 2 in front, but sadly I only have 1 usb stick with other stuff on it… That’s why I tried to avoid installing with it. It’s in my plan to buy one with more space and then I could use this one for those things, but in the meanwhile is there any Ubuntu Mate that is small enough so it could be installed on the CD, would it work from there?

Will have to take another look tomorrow as I didn’t really had time today and now it’s time for f1 :smile:

Thanks for all your help so far @lah7

Sadly, Ubuntu MATE doesn’t fit onto a standard CD :frowning: There is a “bare bones” mini version of Ubuntu, that can install Ubuntu MATE from scratch. This won’t be too much use at the moment, as we’re looking to shrink your partitions using GParted first.

In the meantime, you could burn a GParted Live CD so you can manage your partitions.

That’s sound good. I download gparted-live-0.24.0-2-i586.iso, that one should be ok? So I just burn it on CD and then try to run it on other pc and select first option? Really hope it will work.

Yep, it’s quite verbose with text when it boots, just as a heads up. You’ll be prompted to “change the keymap” and then to start the X Server, then you’ll enter the graphical environment, it’s Debian.

Ok, got it on CD now. Did a test run in Virtual Box and it goes on fine there I’m just not sure where should I save those settings on the actual pc?

So I should take away 38 GIB of space to become unallocated and that’s over? Or should I also make it on ext4 and part of that for swap? Or will this be done when I will try to install OS?

If all goes well, should I then download mini version if it will fit on CD?

It’s up to you, whichever you feel most comfortable.

• Specify the ext4 partition for the OS and create the swap manually, then use the “Custom” option during the installation wizard to use that partition (as mount point / ).
  • Or, leave it unallocated and choose “Install alongside Windows XP” to let the wizard do this automatically. Even if that option didn’t appear, “Custom” would let you create those partitions.

I’d personally go with the full Ubuntu MATE disc image, so I’m certain it has everything the system needs. I haven’t installed from the mini ISO, but the instructions are fairly straight forward if you’re up for the challenge. :thumbsup: (I think I’ll give it a go in VirtualBox!)

Ok thanks.

At the end it ask to save details and close. Where should I save that? Just where it opens up?

Would you possible consider recording your desktop while doing that? Would be nice to see how it's done and then try to recreate it.

I think I will also try it in VirtualBox before getting on pc in case anything goes wrong you can just close it or even delete if it goes horrible wrong. I think that's one of the best things I discovered when I started exploring Linux world. Shame I didn’t know it earlier, might save me some problems with Windows lol