Ubuntu 16.04 Can't pair apple bluetooth keyboard

With Ubuntu Mate 16.04,

I could connect, but when startup takes a long time to reconnect, and now can’t connect anymore.

I have folowing this instruccions (the same problem with Ubuntu 15.04), without success

wget …ww.dr op box.co m/s/xbmm9vfg2fby2zn/fw-04ca_2006.hcd
sudo cp fw-04ca_2006.hcd /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM43142A0-04ca-2006.hcd
sudo modprobe -r btusb
sudo modprobe btusb

I think the problem can reside in my PC, is a Intel Nuc I5 (mini pc

When execute blueman-applet from terminal, between otrher messages, I can see this:

*(blueman-applet:4301): Gdk-CRITICAL *: gdk_window_get_origin: assertion ‘GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)’ failed org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I have open two threads in askubuntu but never can repair this problem,

this one and this other one

I like my Apple keyboard, (I come from Macintosh), but I think I will have to buy another one (without bluetooth, of course) :pensive:

I might be able to help. I have an older Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, Model A1314, and it’s a royal pain to get it to pair with a computer (after it’s paired the first time, though, it works great). If you have the same model or a similar one, here’s what you need to do:

1. Remove the batteries from the keyboard.
2. Slide batteries back into their receptacle, but don’t screw on the steel end-cap yet.

For the remainder of the process, you need to be holding down the power button firmly - do not release it until the keyboard has finished pairing. Doing all of the following while holding down the power button is awkward - I cradle the keyboard along my left arm, holding in the button with my left thumb, and that leaves my right hand free to type in the pairing code.

3. Screw on the battery cap - the power light on the keyboard will start to blink.
4. Go through the entire pairing process, inputting the pairing code using the top-row number keys and then hitting “Return” to complete. The keyboard should now be paired.
5. Only once pairing is complete can you release the power button.

After this, the keyboard should work properly. If you find that the keyboard says it’s paired properly but doesn’t seem to input text, it may have defaulted to “Number Pad” mode - hold down “Fn” and double-tap “F6” to put it into keyboard mode.

This ridiculous process is what I need to use for my Apple A1314 keyboard - I hope it works for you, too.

1 Like

Thanks, but no luck

I have done exactly as you say, I did it before, because I read something similar in other forum

Always says “Failed to add the device”

The last time than I connected it , I did it, connecting before with my Mac, changing the name and retrying,

up please problem not solved

I have the same Keyboard Model (A1314). It is not paired, but does work when I try to connect it, but it’s hard … and does seem to loose connection. I’m not that familiar with bluetooth, and wonder (what is a)/(where is the) pairing code. From what I’ve seen, there’s usual code, like “0000”, but knowing apple, I’d be surprised if they use the default pairing code.

What I guess it’s that a pairing code is an identifier that need to be known by both side to set a link. But in this case, is it a code that belong to the computer and need to be known by the keyboard or is it a code that belong to the keyboard and need to be known by the computer ?

Knowing that will help, but where can I find it ? … I can still boot under OS x, I guess that could be a good place to find it ?

The pairing code for a Bluetooth keyboard is generated when you pair the keyboard with the computer - it’s a uniquely generated number, usually 6 digits. When you pair the keyboard, the number should be displayed on the computer screen, and then you need to type in the same number on the keyboard and press the “Enter” key.

If you’re not seeing the instruction to type the numerical pair code on the keyboard, then something’s going wrong.

Thanks, I had to remove and add again the keyboard (from Ubuntu bluetooth settings), it then gave me a pin to type on the keyboard, and it worked. I guess I did not get that bluetooth pin code mean the same as a pairing code when I got presented that.