Ubuntu MATE 15.04 for Raspberry Pi 2

This OS runs very nice for a pi OS. Really miss the SSH though. Any idea when the next updates might come ?

I have been trying to do GPIO programming on Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry Pi. It fails, and after much reading I have found the kernel needs to be compiled with CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM set to false. Would it be possible to make this the default for future kernels? Being able to add third party devices and build things using the GPIO pins is one of the big attractions for the Raspberry Pi.

Doesnā€™t work - hangs on setup, at the keyboard part just like others have said. Have a RPI2 - used Raspbian a lot previously but thatā€™s also flaky - was hoping for something more stable and better supported, fed up of doing builds and then finding that it doesnā€™t fix anything (ffmpeg for instance).

Can we have a proper user account, SSH please? Otherwise this is completely unusable.

Oh and the Oauth on this site is broken for FB, you get ā€˜App Not Set Up: This app is still in development mode, and you donā€™t have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.ā€™ then a nasty message from here accusing you of ā€˜not authorisingā€™!

Really seems farcically appropriate given that Ubuntu Mate also doesnā€™t work, wonā€™t allow you in to SSH or fix it, I guess I should be happy it hasnā€™t blamed me yetā€¦

I got that error too! Shame it wonā€™t install, hangs on the keyboard bit.

Shame, it looks nice :frowning:

Regarding the pyrhon gpio problem on Mate. Can someone post a working boot img with the new kernel having the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM set to false cause there are many people that cant or dont know how to recompile the kernel (Including my self)?

My Pi Mate system runs really well - thanks to installation on a fast usb stick. I built it in the following way. I used ApplePi-Baker (on Mac) to write identical Mate images to a micro SD card and to a fast usb stick ( a SanDisk Ultra 16Gb). I edited config.txt in the boot partition to point to the root partition on the usb stick (/dev/sda). Hardware includes a wireless keyboard/mouse and a wifi usb adaptor. I didnā€™t resize until I had done most of the configuration including downloading applications - including GParted. I backed up my new image to the Mac and copied it to a second (slower, Lexar) usb stick. That allowed me to use GParted on the Pi itself for the final resizing of the umounted root partition on the SanDisk Ultra. I kept well within 16 Gb to avoid possible problems with subsequent transfer to different media.

Iā€™ve installed Gimp, Scribus, Chromium, ssh server, X11VNCServer, wireless printer and everything works surprisingly slickly. It starts up in 45 seconds, and applications load quickly (e.g. Libre Office in 6 seconds and Scribus in 12 seconds.

2 Likes

I really like Mate on my Pi, Just started using it. If there are any issues I will stick with it till they are solved.

Today I installed the Ubuntu Mate for Raspberry Pi 2 image onto a micro SD card per instructions. That part went great. On the initial install I got a ā€œfailed to start load linux kernel modulesā€. It does go on to boot to the login screen but the display is not correctly size for the screen. This is straight out of the box using a Pi 2 B+ I assembled over the weekend. Which boots and runs Raspbian correctly AFAICT. Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions for what I can do? I havenā€™t yet gone to get software updates.

Following up on my own question.

(1) Installing the latest software updates makes no difference to either the boot issue of failed to start load linux kernel modules".
(2) the ā€œMonitorsā€ display under Mate Control Center shows 640x480 resolution only. ā€œ0ā€ hz refresh rate. Normal rotation. It fails to recognize the monitor.
(3) The video is HDMI out ā€”> VGA converter that goes to the monitor through an IOGEAR 4way KVM. The machines on the other 3 connections on this KVM switch all recognize and configure their display correctly and properly ID the monitor brand, size, refresh etc.

Following up again.

I tried a different monitor, bypassing the KVM 4way switch. No differenceā€¦itā€™s still unknown and 640x480 at ā€œ0ā€™ hz. I then went HDMI direct into the 27ā€ monitor on my wifeā€™s desk. Now I have a much better display. Not perfect but close to the correct resolution (should be 1920x1080 60hz; is 1824x984. Still ā€œ0ā€ hz and monitor is unknown.

Iā€™m still puzzled by what the ā€œfailed to start load linux kernel modulesā€ is about.

Hi there!

Does anyone know, if itā€™s possible to install the Spotify Linux Desktop Client on the Raspberry Pi2 with Ubuntu Mate? I need the ā€œofficialā€ client, and not despotify or the libs.

Thanks in advance,
Juergen

@sdavmor To get rid of the black borders and use the full resolution of the screen, you need to disable overscan.

I have tried for 2 days to get this to work, but it has been an utter failure for me. Noteā€¦I know diddly-squat about Linux
Im am on a Mac and am using a Transcend 32 GB class 10 SD card. I have formatted the card in various formats. I have also tried a few various methods to load the .img to the card. But I get nothing but failure messages when I put the card in the pi2 and power up :frowning:

It will finally stop the boot and say something along the line of ā€œfreezing processā€ or something to the like. I am thinking that there is either something wrong with this new card, or I have not properly formatted the card. Should I name the partition something other than ā€œUntitled1ā€? What format should I use for the card?

Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

EDIT Problem resolved. I decided to flash an old NOOBS card and now itā€™s loading properly (So farā€¦). So I donā€™t know if the problem was with the card (physically) or if it is possibly just an incompatible brand/model of card.
The card was a ā€œTranscend Premium microSDHC UHS-1 32GB Class 10ā€ Product code TS32GUSDU1

Works very fine at one go. Itā€™s amazing to see a full blown Ubuntu flavour on the little Pi2 !

However, after some time of usage my mouse pointer does increase its
flicker rate a lot (when in a XFCE session). On Raspbian thereā€™s been a patch some time ago from
the Pi Foundationā€™s JamesH to enable the Piā€™s hardware cursor for X11.
Is this patch already included in Ubuntu Mate for the Pi?
Or can I disable the mouse cursor flicker with other means?

Thanks! And thanks for such a nice distribution.

Hi,

Possible bug:

It seems that /tmp is created as itā€™s own tmpfs mount point of size ~462M (half the ram on a RP2). The problem with that is that Firefox for example downloads files to /tmp first ā€“ which means you are limited to a file that size for a download.

If you force unmount (with a lazy unmount), it simply defaults onto the ā€œtmpā€ dir in /, and everything is ok.

I am assuming this is in order to save the SD card from unnecessary writes for junk in /tmp.
Maybe the ā€œbugā€ is that Firefox is writing to /tmp first and then moving the downloads when complete (will see if thereā€™s a way to change that).

But either way, currently, you canā€™t download files larger than the size of /tmp, which is pretty limited.

UPDATE:
It looks like many others have mentioned this exact issue on the mozilla bug tracker:

The main issue being that FF either needs to specify a ā€œtemp download dirā€ or simply download the temp files in the real download dir.

It would be nice if /tmp can be mounted onto the SD card. But not sure if that would kill the SD card?

Could help me and explain how I can installed these libraries : MMAL and OpenMax on Ubuntu Mate ?

Thatā€™s good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Iā€™ve always had success with Kingston SD cards. Iā€™ve a 8GB Class 4 booting Raspbian Jessie on a thumb drive, installed on a PiB+. It works flawlessly and the Kingston cards are dirt cheap too.

Hi,

Nice piece of work youā€™ve done, and very useful!

Does MATE support touch screens? Check this out: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13733 (I have no connection with them). Sure would be cool to hook up one of these and have a Ubuntu tablet!

Hi,
I have a problem. I pluged rpi2 to a TV (with HDMI) and I instaled berryboot with Ubuntu Mate 15.04, OpenElec 5.08 and Raspbian Jessie. All works fine, but Ubuntu Mate has activated overscan and I need fix the oversan. I see the config.txt file, but the file is empty. How I fix this?
Thanks for answers, Dynlik.
// Sorry, but my english isnā€™t very good :smiley: .

I had some problems in getting a RTC chip synchronised with the exact date and time during boot up, and have described this problem in a separate post.

I came up with a solution and have described it in my post in the Raspberry Pi forum, and hope these learnings can be takin into consideration in the next update or refresh of the UbuntuMATE Linux OS for Raspberry Pi 2 :wink: