Ubuntu-MATE 15.04 on my IBook G4

Here is a link to my screenshot. I am using Numix themes, Numix icons, and Compton for compositing.

Thanks @Wimpy for bringing support to PowerPC!

screenshot

3 Likes

Looks great! Does Compton do the same thing as Compiz or is it just for compositing?

It is just compositing.

1 Like

Can you help me with this? I tried to install Ubuntu Mate on my Mac G4 (the desktop, not the netbook) through USB, but this is what happened: I booted up and held the alt/option key so i could boot from the USB. After i booted, a screen came saying “Welcome to Ubuntu Mate 15.04(Vivid Vervet)!” and Yaboot. So i pressed enter, and it booted (took a while). However, I noticed that the colors were wrong: there was a blue-ish purple background instead of green and the “Ubuntu Mate” logo was also that color. When I booted, finally, into the live usb, the colors were all messed up, except for the desktop for some reason. The mouse was white instead of black so it was hard to get around. When I opened up a folder, however, the entire system just crashed, although i could still move the mouse around.
I searched up online and discovered that some really old radeon card could be to blame. So I wrote some yaboot stuff down and booted, i even used different boot options besides live (like live-powerpc, check-powerpc, and other stuff) and the same thing always happened. During one instance, when i tried to install, the installer froze when i got to GParted. This doesn’t happen in my debian OS (from which I’m writing this), so I’m lost on how to do this.
Also, the sound on my debian is kind of low. Here are my specs:

cat /proc/asound/cards 0   |     [Snapper        ]: PMac Snapper - PowerMac Snapper  |   PowerMac Snapper (Dev 22) Sub-frame 0

grep machine /proc/cpuinfo   |    machine        : PowerMac3,6

-I also have Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24 installed.
-My processor is the 7455 x2.
-Graphics is Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI R250 If [Radeon 9000] and driver is radeonfb.
-I have 1.5gb system ram

Currently, in my G4, i currently have Debian XFCE installed, but I really like how Mate looks (reminds me of the good ol’ Lucid days) and I’d like to use it.

in yaboot enter the following:

live radeon.modeset=1 video=offb:off video=radeonfb:off radeon.agpmode=-1

14.04 version of MATE works better

1 Like

Also, how come 15.04 works on your G4 but not on mine? Is it because of the radeon gfx?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I put those in, but the same thing happened. I
might download 14.04 iso, but I kinda wanted the latest and I really like
Umate, so I was going for this. Any reason why 14.04 would be better than
15.04? Also, i tried to install debian from usb, but i can’t. For some
reason, it just reboots when i press the USB drive in the beginning after
the beep when I press option/alt. Also, I can’t get into open firmware
through control, shift, o and f. Thanks for the help; I’ll try it if I have
time.

There are some issues with Xorg on 15.04. 14.04 is better.

Sorry to sound dumb, but where can I find the legit 14.04 Ubuntu Mate for
powerpc iso? It isn’t in the downloads section on the UMate website. I
found this site:
https://plus.google.com/111285327879595317710/posts/2dTTB6qBHrA but it is
the developer version; any idea where I can get the official image?

Also, how come 15.04 works on your G4 but not on mine? Is it because of the
radeon gfx?

Thanks- KJ

I was using the Beta 1 version there. The final has a newer Xorg.

The ISO for 14.04 is here: https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-trusty-powerpc/