Ubuntu MATE 15.04 to Provide First Class Compiz Integration - Video

Softpedia has summarised the Compiz integration that will debut in Ubuntu MATE 15.04.

4 Likes

Is there any desire in the MATE/Compiz nexus to get Compiz re-included in Debian to accompany MATE there. As a Debian user, I think that would be a very positive development.

I agree with Martin that MATE and Compiz make a great team, as he explained in the latest Ubuntu podcast. It’s also interesting to see Martin’s changing attitude towards Compiz. I remember in an old Linux Luddites podcast he was rather sniffy about it. Looks like the charm of the wobbly windows eventually won him over.

@hugh After having to learn Compiz in order to make it integrate seamlessly with Ubuntu MATE I have found it can actually be a genuinely useful productivity tool. I want to add more usability integration for Compiz in the 15.10 cycle too. :slight_smile:

As for Compiz in Debian, I won’t be migrating it. Compiz was ejected from Debian sometime ago, I don’t know why.

I know this is off-topic for Media Coverage but I’ll just add: I think Compiz was ejected from Debian for lack of a reliable maintainer for long periods. Who knows what will happen down the road. If MATE is eventually chosen as Debian default-desktop (perfectly possible), that could change everything.