Ubuntu MATE 15.10 for the Raspberry Pi 2

you gave me this great idea. Instead of setting I just commented it out. It worked. I also tested with DVI mode and it worked too. I’ll leave it commented and let the pi decide what to do when I plug it on my monitor or the tv, pretty much like it was with the blank config.txt from 15.04 :smile:

but thanks for the tip, it totally worked!

1 Like

I edit /boot/config.txt and change hdmi_drive=2 to hdmi_drive=1 for DVI and it works fine! But the display standby just blackens the screen, display backlight is still on tho, so not saving any power.

what can I do?

Hello!

It’s my first time using UBUNTU on a Raspberry. After installed and all configurations, while using like on Firefox and even installing a printer, the system reboots randomly. Has any one faced this too?

For anyone having issues writing the image to the SD card, this guide worked for me (I’m using a Mac but they have also instructions for Windows and Linux):
http://www.udoo.org/docs/Getting_Started/Create_A_Bootable_MicroSD_card_for_UDOO

Before doing anything I formatted the SD card first using the SD foundation’s tool ( sdcard org/downloads/formatter_4/ ) selecting option > logical address adjustment (yes) and overwrite format. Then I used disk utility to format the card in FAT32 (necessary for cards over 32gb, but you can do it for any card). After this I followed the above tutorial. If this fails you can try the install instructions for Raspian here, as they seem similar: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/README.md

Good luck!

Excellent image! :sunglasses:

My only stumbling blocks were quickly worked out by carefully re-reading the instructions for expanding the filesystem. After that, and rebooting, it’s running clean and fast! :grin:

I’m a highly experienced hardware modder, and IT professional by trade, so I actually already had a preference for Ubuntu-Mate on X86 and was waiting… somewhat patiently… for the releases on RasPi2 to catch up with the stability of the x86 builds. I liked what I initially saw, but I ended up rolling my own from a raspbian based underlying OS install, and installing Mate, manually, on top of that. It worked, but it doesn’t have the tweaks… the finesse… of a native install of Ubuntu-Mate. I have 2 RasPi2 systems, 1 running OpenELEC, dedicated, and the other as a multi-role system, for traditional workstation OS’s and RetroPi gaming. I’ve just replaced my Raspbian install on my 32GB microSD with the 15.10 image. I’m very pleased with the results, and I can work around any config issues to get this in action. I’ll report any problems I may find to the appropriate place.

I really appreciate what the team has done here. Keep up the great work! :+1:

2 Likes

Some challenges I’ve found with this release of UbuntuMATE 15.10 when using a RTC chip hooked up on the GPIO pins of the RPi 2 device.

Maybe the little tutorial described in my post can be taken into consideration as a little enhancement…

Otherwise, I noticed with the journalctl command that the kernel does not immediately read the date and time settings from the RTC chip during the boot up process.

Linux 4.4-rc1 has been released. New features of Linux 4.4
include a Raspberry Pi kernel mode-setting driver, support for 3D
acceleration by QEMU guest virtual machines, AMD Stoney APU support,
Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 support, expanded eBPF virtual machine programs,
new hardware peripheral support, file-system fixes, faster SHA crypto
support on Intel hardware, and LightNVM / Open-Channel SSD support.

Make display go to sleep, add hdmi_blanking=1 into /boot/config.txt

1 Like

It works, even when using a HDMI2DVI adapter.

Putting the parameter “hdmi_blanking=1” in the “/boot/config.txt” file allows me do disable all screen saver functions in the UbuntuMATE OS, and thus reducing processing power :grin:

1 Like

I’ve downloaded from a couple of different mirrors that you have listed and the output from md5sum for the downloaded file does not match the hash which you’ve posted (059d74d51d0f36fd30b504907f646e6d). I am seeing 61287c1881b166c05b89a8cdc39e12b5 as the hash. I also tried the hash on the .img file instead of the .xz file, and that doesn’t match either. Was a newer version uploaded and the value not updated on the web page for the project? File is: ubuntu-mate-15.10.1-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi-2.img.xz

As long as you download it from the official UbuntuMATE for Raspberry Pi 2 download page, you ought to be fine.

Just downloaded the image again via its torrent file 2 days ago, flashed it to my microSD card, and could run the UbuntuMATE installer on my RPi 2 device without any problems.

whenever I try to install, the resoloution is all off for my monitor, making it frustratingley unusable.
please help!

Take a look at /boot/config.txt there are options in there for setting the resolution of the monitor.

Now it just boots into emergency mode, after I reinstalled the image. Will someone pease help?

I noticed one of the changes of the new version of Mate 15.10 is a slightly updated kernel, as the changelog states:

Updated to Linux 4.1.15 (previous one was 4.1.13)

But I also noticed that the repositores have a version 4.2.0 of the kernel for the Raspberry Pi. This one is probably coming from Ubuntu (the company) as I can see kernels for the Nexus 5 as well for example.

Has anyone tried upgrading the Ubuntu Mate kernel to the 4.2.0 version in the repositories? If yes, did it work? I am curious if anyone has tried that. I may try it myself too once I get an additional MicroSD card.

Geoff

Checking the official RPi-Firmware repository today, it is still bumped up to version 4.1.16 for the RPi devices. Guess, it will take a short while though to release 4.2

This said, you can always use the command “sudo rpi-update” to update to the latest official RPI kernel release.

Nice job, better for our middle school than Raspbian Jessie. Two main issues for your next release: please make the date / time update automatic, we could n´t even get into Wikipedia due to the wrong system date.
Second is get Raspberry hardware acceleration inside Firefox and VLC some how. The speed of omxplayer is good but the interface is too different; Epiphany on Raspbian was up to speed but again the different interface (bookmarks etc.).

On time synchronisation, because the Pi doesn’t have a battery, the system time is lost when the Pi is powered off. When you turn the Pi back on, it takes a while for the ntp daemon to synchronise the time. If you install ntpdate, the time is synchronised as soon as the network interface comes up. To install ntpdate from a terminal, run apt-get install ntpdate

I read recently that ntpdate has been deprecated, which means it will stop being maintained at some point.

From UbuntuMATE 15.10 onwards, time synchronisation with Internet sources can be handled with “systemd”.

Have a look in my post about “UbuntuMATE 15.10 reset RTC chip date & time during bootup”, on the second described approach that also works without an RTC chip using only the “timesyncd” daemon and operates only when network connectivity is available, thus removing the complexity of NTP :slightly_smiling:

1 Like