Ubuntu MATE 15.10 for the Raspberry Pi 2

Now it just boots into emergency mode, after I reinstalled the image. Will someone pease help?

I noticed one of the changes of the new version of Mate 15.10 is a slightly updated kernel, as the changelog states:

Updated to Linux 4.1.15 (previous one was 4.1.13)

But I also noticed that the repositores have a version 4.2.0 of the kernel for the Raspberry Pi. This one is probably coming from Ubuntu (the company) as I can see kernels for the Nexus 5 as well for example.

Has anyone tried upgrading the Ubuntu Mate kernel to the 4.2.0 version in the repositories? If yes, did it work? I am curious if anyone has tried that. I may try it myself too once I get an additional MicroSD card.

Geoff

Checking the official RPi-Firmware repository today, it is still bumped up to version 4.1.16 for the RPi devices. Guess, it will take a short while though to release 4.2

This said, you can always use the command “sudo rpi-update” to update to the latest official RPI kernel release.

Nice job, better for our middle school than Raspbian Jessie. Two main issues for your next release: please make the date / time update automatic, we could n´t even get into Wikipedia due to the wrong system date.
Second is get Raspberry hardware acceleration inside Firefox and VLC some how. The speed of omxplayer is good but the interface is too different; Epiphany on Raspbian was up to speed but again the different interface (bookmarks etc.).

On time synchronisation, because the Pi doesn’t have a battery, the system time is lost when the Pi is powered off. When you turn the Pi back on, it takes a while for the ntp daemon to synchronise the time. If you install ntpdate, the time is synchronised as soon as the network interface comes up. To install ntpdate from a terminal, run apt-get install ntpdate

I read recently that ntpdate has been deprecated, which means it will stop being maintained at some point.

From UbuntuMATE 15.10 onwards, time synchronisation with Internet sources can be handled with “systemd”.

Have a look in my post about “UbuntuMATE 15.10 reset RTC chip date & time during bootup”, on the second described approach that also works without an RTC chip using only the “timesyncd” daemon and operates only when network connectivity is available, thus removing the complexity of NTP :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Hello and thank you for creating a fantastic OS for the Raspberry Pi.
I have it running on a raspberry Pi 2 with the official 7" touchscreen. Ubuntu MATE works much better than the Raspbian install that i have been using and the interface just seems more responsive.
I have an issue with the accessibility ‘simulate right-click’ that is normally available in Ubuntu. I have seen lots of screenshots of the ‘second tab’ in the mouse config, but in MATE, it is just not there.
The assistive technologies are there, but i do not see anything to turn on the ‘simulate right click, by holding down left click’ which should be an option. Any help with finding the right-click, using a left long-click, would be super!
as an additional thing, some of the config screens are too big for the resolution of 800 x 480, but i have got around that by using a bluetooth keyboard and using left-alt and left-mouse click to drag the top of the config screens off the top of the desktop, enabling me to see the bottom of the window. A touchscreen option would be great for that but it is early days yet. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are there any plans for a 64 bit build to support the Raspberry Pi 3?

See here about a 64-bit build:

I get scrambled audio from Pandora and YouTube with this, but raspbian works fine. It doesn’t matter if I am using analog, USB audio, or HDMI.

This is what I am dealing with: https://vimeo.com/159695009

Can’t boot. Had no problems creating the boot disk, in fact I did it both ways: command line and GDisk. Boot starts right of with a kernel panic - not syncing, then about another dozen lines of errors and ends with: random: nonblocking pool is initialized.

If you need me to post a picture just let me know.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Just tried 16.04 on my new Pi 3 and found that it lacks integrated RDP or VNC and doesn’t support SSH via PuTTY for the headless startup I require.

I notice that “linux-image-4.2.0-1028-raspi2” is available. How to install it (headless)? I have MATE 15.10 on raspi2 and tried the usual sudo apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade: 0 updates.

Then I just installed the package: sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.2.0-1028-raspi2. This causes some updates.

However after a reboot or 2, the shell still welcomes me with “Welcome to Ubuntu 15.10 (GNU/Linux 4.1.15-v7+ armv7l)”?

@DonGateley:

• For RDP, install the package xrdp (uses X and VNC as backend)
  • For SSH, install the package ssh (also available in the Software Boutique). No reason why it wouldn’t work with PuTTY.

sudo apt-get install xrdp ssh

@bronze, as far as I’m aware, Raspberry Pi kernel updates need to be performed by typing:

sudo rpi-update
1 Like

My problem is that there is no way to do that headless which is the only means I currently have for accessing a Pi. The latest Raspbian is pre-configured with ssh installed so one can do a headlless bootstrap using PuTTY from a PC and I would like to see the same with this distribution.

Eliminating the need to have a keyboard/display to get this up and running would be a very good thing. Thanks.

1 Like

Thx, I am now welcomed by “Welcome to Ubuntu 15.10 (GNU/Linux 4.1.21-v7+ armv7l)”.

@DonGateley The images are preconfigured with SSH running but Ubuntu MATE differs from Raspbian in that there is a first boot configuration to setup you user account etc. That is a graphical only tool.

Perhaps you’d prefer one of the server images that come with a preconfigured user account?

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. It still should be possible to boot up headless using PuTTy and ssh with the normal distribution. Please don’t dismiss the idea out of hand.

On perusal it seems the server images are very restricted functionally. My request remains for the main distribution to support a headless startup in any of the many ways that could be accomplished.