Ubuntu mate 15.10 graphics and pppoe problems

No problem, I now suggest you do the following:

1. Run the command “sudo pppoeconf” again and see if you made a mistake when entering your username and password.

2. Start the live CD and run the command “sudo pppoeconf” in live mode and see if it connects, if it does; you know that there is a problem with the installed system, I would recommend at this point to do a fresh install and run the command once more if necessary after the installation process has finished. Only do a fresh install with an active internet connection!. :smiley:

1 Like

Tried your idea, it doesn’t work with the live USB as well… I triple-checked the MD5 hashes of the official release and what I downloaded and they are the same… I really don’t know what’s happening.

Does your laptop have WiFi too and do you have anything remotely like a WiFi set-up at home?.

Your ethernet adaptor may be disabled on boot, try the following commands and check your network settings in the network icon in the top panel:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

sudo ifup eth0

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/network-configuration.html

1 Like

It’s not a laptop, it’s a desktop PC, and I don’t have a router, the cable is plugged directly into the PC.

Okay, is there more than one network socket on the PC?, by that I mean does it have labels like "Modem" and "LAN"?.

You can try taking the panel off of the PC and unscrewing the network card and move it over one slot if at all possible?.

You can buy a new network card for about 10 or 15 Euros and replace the one you have!.

Does the network icon in the top panel show a connected symbol like this or something similar?:

You can also try a different network cable, borrow one if you must and try that too.

I'm running out of ideas so make sure that you at least start the connection with the following command:

sudo ifup eth0

How is your network cable connected to your ISP, does it go straight into the wall socket?.

1 Like

Sorry but I don’t have the time and patience to replace cards and all that… This is how far the support from Canonical (kudos to them) and nVidia (meh) goes. I understand that the Canonical contributors are not getting paid for what they do and they also have their own lives and all…
I’ll wait for the new version, maybe I will get my problems fixed. I appreciate everyone that tried to help me.

1 Like

Well throw caution to the wind and try Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and remember what you jhave learned from this thread and put it to good use.

16.04 is stable even though it is in Beta mode, I am using it on my 2 home PC’s and also on a test partition with no problems to report. The UM devs (@Wimpy & Co) have done a first rate job!. :smiley:

Good luck my friend (Mult noroc prietenul meu). :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll definitely check it! I won’t let Billy take over my hardware! (I’d bet he laughs right now)
And thanks for the words in romanian, you’re a kind person.

1 Like

“Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.”

Mark Twain. :smiley:

And thank you for gratitude @IMAGINARY666 !. :smiley: