Ubuntu MATE 15.10 is out - including Raspberry Pi 2

Hi all,

Phew! We got there. Ubuntu MATE 15.10 is released, including the Raspberry Pi 2 version which we've released along side the other architectures on release day.

Here are the Release Notes for Ubuntu MATE 15.10:

If you want an overview of what changed during the 15.10 development cycle then take a look at the Ubuntu MATE 15.10 Press Kit.

If you're a Raspberry Pi 2 owner, or thinking of getting one, then you'll want to check the Ubuntu MATE 15.10 for Raspberry Pi 2 page, which includes an extensive change log just for the Pi 2.

Thanks for your continued support, your contributions make projects like the Raspberry Pi 2 build a reality.

The development archives just opened for Xenial Xerus. I started work on 16.04 two weeks ago and have code to push :slight_smile:

Best regards, Martin.

2 Likes

Thanks for this wunderfull update. Everything runs very smoothly.

Evert, Veghel. The Netherlands

2 Likes

If I install 15.10 over 15.04 will I need to redo a lot of my settings i.e. using open source drivers, setting up my VPN, reinstalling printer drivers etc? I was new to 15.04 so I have never done an upgrade!

Matt

Just an amazing release. Smooth, snappy and the changes to the boot splash screen are great as well as the welcome screen. Keep up the wonderful work. The only minor issue so far is that I use the bottom panel as an app launcher and sometimes it doesn’t go back to autohide after launching caja or system monitor but I can live with that. Great OS to be programming on.

1 Like

I just upgraded 15.04 to 15.10 and there were no problems. For the most part, all existing settings will remain intact. I did have two sound indicators, but resetting the panel in MATE Tweak solves that (and lost my adjustments, forgot about that…! :blush: )

Although for this release, the Ubuntu Wily Werewolf Release Notes warns of a bug in AMD’s proprietary drivers. So, if you’ve got AMD’s drivers, it’s recommended to switch to the open source drivers for now:

AMD’s fglrx driver does not work with the current kernel (1493888). It is warmly recommended to uninstall the fglrx driver before upgrading to Ubuntu 15.10. The open source “radeon” driver can be used as a temporary replacement until a fix is available.

Also, if you’ve added any third party repositories, they’re disabled after an upgrade. You’ll need to go to System → Administration → Software & Updates to re-enable them. (Some repos may not have one for wily yet!)

2 Likes

Perfectly painless upgrade here…working smoothly with no errors! I am enjoying the new themes, as well. Thanks for such a rock-solid distro…still patiently for a touchpad on/off switch in Settings a la eXXXXXtaryOS or ZXXin…

1 Like

Thanks for all of your hard work, Wimpy! So far I have it installed on one of my Thinkpads, works beautifully. Attempting an install on an iMac G4 I have right now. Seeding the torrents…

1 Like

Upgrading from 15.04 to 15.10 is fully supported.

• Press Alt+F2
  • Enter update-manager -d
1 Like

Improved touchpad support coming in 16.04 via MATE 1.12.

1 Like

5 years have passed from my beloved Ubuntu 10.10
There were only 2 things that annoyed me:

• file sizes in SI units
  • writing a command line to move the window control buttons on the right
    Now these 2 have been fixed and compiz has been integrated by default

I couldn’t be happier :smile:

Thank you Martin

1 Like

Did the upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10. So far everything works great except for one small bug in MATE Tweaks Window Behavior settings. If I check undecorate Maximized windows, all windows lose their window manager decorations, And if I uncheck it, they don’t show up again, and I have to restart to get them back. I’m using the Marco window manager BTW, no Compiz here folks! :wink:

Oh yeah, I’m running it on a Dell Studio 1745 laptop with integrated Intel graphics.

That’s the only bug I’ve found, and since I don’t want to undecorate my windows anyway, it’ll be easy not to check it. :wink:

Wimpy, I see that you created a Raspberry Pi 2 subforum. Would you also consider one for PowerPC?

1 Like

Congratulations to the whole team. It a great release so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rogerharkavy Yes, that’s coming soon.

Ah yes… I’ve been considering which adjective to use to describe the upgrade process (15.04 – 15.10). I can’t make my mind up. Let’s just say that for me, a new benchmark has been set. To each and every person involved behind the scenes, well done! You could give this to a child…

The bumps at the end of the road: Epiphany, Midori and Qrator didn’t make it. QupZilla and QtQR are now taking their places. I’ve not been able to log-on to the forum with QupZilla. There is some inconsistency in the application of the background colours, VLC & QupZilla being two examples.

As 16.04 LTS is supposed to be the last ubuntu using X I intend to install that and stay with it, as my hardware is already growing long in the tooth.

All the developers should go and have themselves a right good day - they deserve it, and our thanks.

2 Likes

Well done. Outstanding update.

My “update” was actually a fresh install to a new 2-in-1 machine (Skylake-based) which isn’t fully supported by the kernel yet (4.3 required). Despite that, operation is faultless apart from wireless being slightly temperamental. The touch screen works out of the box!

(It came with Windows 10 Home which I gave up on after a week because the types of complex Web page I work with were crashing the Intel graphics driver repeatedly and reproducibly, irrespective of browser …).

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks for all the work that went into 15.10.I started with 15.10 beta 1 then beta 2 and now the final release no major problems at all.

1 Like

Upgrading now via apt-get on my HP 655 laptop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did upgrade from 15.04 to 15.10. Used the software updater app first but it stated it could only do a partial upgrade. I let it do so and then ran Synaptic and let it upgrade everything. Other than some adjustments to the settings in the software updater app all seems well. I have an Intel based 775 mainboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200, Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, and 8 GB Crucial memory. In appearance, all looks the same as it was before the upgrade. I cant speak for anyone else, but it seems I can’t kill this OS and it works well on my slightly outdated hardware. I see no point in trying any other Linux version when this one works so well. I still have other puters with Windows 10 and 7, but find that once I have turned off all the ‘fluff’ in Windows 10 I really don’t have much different from Windows 7 other than a lot of eye candy and basic improvements. I will support this OS as I feel it is important to continue to give the Redmond beast some competition.