Ubuntu-Mate 15.10 on non pae HP NC6000 gives "error 2" while loading GRUB

installed ubuntu-mate 15.10 using forcepae parameter, on a non-pae HP (compaq) NC6000 notebook having Pentium M, 1.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 6.5 GB partition of 30GB IDE harddisk with windows 7 on it, gives error 2 while loading GRUB and hard hangs. Same when installed LUBUNTU 15.

I would say that you simply don’t have enough space on the HDD for the installation!. You need to allow more space where you can!. :smiley:

You can try the following:

Boot from LiveCD and from a terminal run:

grub-install /dev/sda

or try:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Thanks for tip but needed more;
sudo grub-install /dev/sda-> “grub-install:error:failed to get canonical path of ‘/cow’”
grub-install /dev/sda -> “grub-install:error:Cannot delete '/boot/grub/i386-pc/terminal.lst Permission Denied”

Please note that
1- These commands were tried using the sole login created during installation, neither root user/password was talked about during installation, nor I know what is default root password if it does not come in light during installation.
2- The system was booted from Installation DVD of Ubuntu-mate with which installation was performed. Pressed F6 and acpi=OFF, noapic, nolapic, nodmraid were selected, Pressed ESC and wrote forcepae before pressing Enter key to boot.

Hi,

try “Boot Repair” (handy tool to keep around btw!):

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

“Boot Repair” is a nice tool but it did not solved the issue as the laptop hanged up. Issue was solved by fresh/reinstall/new install placing boot loader on drive having more space. Now there is another problem mentioned earlier too. The question is what is default root password. neither root user/password was talked about during installation, nor I
know what is default root password if it does not come in light during installation. I want to upgrade / install flash player and it needs root password. The password that I set during installation does not work as root password. There is only user created during installation.

Hi,

see “Reset Password” here: