Ubuntu MATE 15.10 will feature a rationalised Compiz profile

So it turns out the Compiz implementation for MATE is not as responsive as it could be and prone to crashes, particularly when window switching while running Steam. Several members of the Ubuntu MATE community have been helpful sharing their experiences and Compiz settings. I’ve spent the evening refining and rationalising the Compiz profile for MATE.

The end result is greater consistency between Marco and Compiz keybindings, far fewer Compiz plugins are required, memory consumption is down, responsiveness is improved, I haven’t crashed Compiz (or Steam) and I’ve replaced the Desktop Cube with the Desktop Wall :fearful:

Yes, you read that right. The Desktop Cube is no longer the default workspace switcher. It was sadly slowing up some systems and one of the culprits causing Compiz to crash. If you love the Cube then you can still enable it via Compiz Config Settings Manager. I’m sure you’ll agree that providing a functional and stable configuration is more important than glitz? :open_mouth:

These changes are not released to Ubuntu MATE 15.10 yet, but they have been approved by the upstream Compiz developers.

3 Likes

Can I retrospectively apply these new setting to my UM 14.04 32 bit setup?

Possibly, I’ll test that.

1 Like

Thanks Martin. Much appreciated.

Thank you for improving this, Martin. :thumbsup:

This is not a universally popular change, but it is the right thing to do.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I was wishing to, additionally, enable the Compiz window preview for minimized windows;' the default is only set for active windows - which, arguably, defeats much of the purpose this nifty feature renders.

When the Compiz GUI is installed (which it is not - save for the UUMATE respin), the way to do this is simply to go to Workarounds and toggle minimized window preview. This allows me to actually see what I have open, even when minimized; as I hover over whichever tab.:smiley:

Although it is addressing another feature, the below paste from @Wimpy shows me how to do it, I think; but I can't get in. I'm guessing I am locked out. :frowning:

Any suggestions would be well embraced! :laughing:

It should be found under here:

Or by typing this into a terminal:

ccsm

Take caution, I found this plug-in to be one of the causes of a lot of Compiz crashes! :relieved:

Thanks for the quick response, @lah7, as well as the heads up concerning the plug-in being one of the causes of some Compiz crashes. :wink:

I do not, for whatever reason, have your menu tree, as such; the terminal, I believe tells us why:

So, install like the terminal suggests; and I will have a Compiz GUI?

1 Like

Yes I believe you will have something like this, but fully in English of course.

It's not installed by default because it's advance tool and you can make a mess when trying to change to many things.

1 Like

Lots of UMATE love, to you, @ele! :kissing_heart:

1 Like