After several delays Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 was released last night including the refreshed image for the Raspberry Pi 2 & and 3. Here are the release notes:
- Performance optimised.
- Partition alignment, file system features, fewer CPU cycles, lower RAM.
- Added automated first boot partition resizing.
- Forked and adapted
- Added pi-top brightness and power-off support.
- Backported MATE Desktop 1.16.1.
- Backported BlueZ 5.41.
- Updated pi-bluetooth to 0.1.2 including failsafe systemd units.
- Backported ffmpeg 3.2 including Raspberry Pi hardware acceleration for MMAL decoding and OMX encoding.
- Updated Xorg via the LTS Enablement Stack.
- Added OOTB support for 16 new HATS.
- Disabled SSH by default.
- SSH can be enabled via raspbi-config or creating a file named ssh in the /boot partition.
- sshguard is also automatically enabled when you enable SSH.
- Reduced the image size to 5GB, down from 8GB.
You can download this updated Raspberry Pi image and the new isos for i386 and amd64 from our download page.