Ubuntu MATE 16.04.4 - Crash

Hi, everyone! :slight_smile:

I'm running Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS (64-bit) - "16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus)" - on a Laptop / Notebook computer since 2016. It has all the Software Updates (Operating System Updates) installed, according to the "Software Updater" ("The software on this computer is up to date.").

For the last two weeks or so, when I log in to my user account in this Ubuntu MATE installation, I sometimes get a dialog box with the following crash / error message:

"The application Popup Notifications has closed unexpectedly."

Screenshot:

If I click on the "Show Details" button, I then get the following additional information:

• ExecutablePath
    /usr/lib/mate-notification-daemon/mate-notification-daemon
  • Package
    mate-notification-daemon 1.12.1-1
  • ProblemType
    Crash
  • Title
    mate-notification-daemon crashed with signal 5 in g_value_get_int()

(...)

Screenshot:

Is this issue / problem happening to others? Can anyone give me some tips to help diagnose, troubleshoot and/or solve this, please?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Been happening to me whenever I plug in an HDMI monitor… and after I do that, spontaneously at various times. I’m on 18.04

1 Like

Hi, @jonpolak ... and everyone else! :slight_smile:

This crash has been happening to me in several occasions, still on the same "Ubuntu MATE 16.04" (64-bit) installation (now on "Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS").

Today (17 August 2018), a few minutes ago, happened the most recent crash to me. The "XsessionErrors" section of "The application Popup Notifications has closed unexpectedly." dialog box seems to have some relevant information.

Screenshot:

Textual information of "XsessionErrors" (copied from the last lines of the file "_usr_lib_mate-notification-daemon_mate-notification-daemon.1000.crash" located in the "/var/crash" folder or directory):

XsessionErrors:
 mate-session[2117]: WARNING: Unable to find provider '' of required component 'dock'
 (nm-applet:2432): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
 (mate-panel:2347): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
 (blueman-applet:2389): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
 (mate-power-manager:2385): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 51 was not found when attempting to remove it

The Mate Notification Daemon package version is still the same (1.12.1-1):

myuser@myhost:/var/crash$ grep '^Package:' _usr_lib_mate-notification-daemon_mate-notification-daemon.1000.crash
Package: mate-notification-daemon 1.12.1-1

There are the following "assertions" line in the same "_usr_lib_mate-notification-daemon_mate-notification-daemon.1000.crash" file that may also be relevant:

myuser@myhost:/var/crash$ grep -i 'assert' _usr_lib_mate-notification-daemon_mate-notification-daemon.1000.crash
 Ago 17 08:20:13 myhost NetworkManager[1212]: nm_device_get_device_type: assertion 'NM_IS_DEVICE (self)' failed
 Ago 17 08:21:18 myhost org.blueman.Mechanism[1162]: (blueman-mechanism:3021): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion 'GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
 Ago 17 08:21:55 myhost org.freedesktop.Notifications[2440]: (mate-notification-daemon:3075): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_int: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_INT (value)' failed
 Ago 17 08:21:58 myhost org.freedesktop.Notifications[2440]: (mate-notification-daemon:3163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_get_int: assertion 'G_VALUE_HOLDS_INT (value)' failed
 (nm-applet:2618): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
 (blueman-applet:2588): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates: assertion 'window->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed

I searched for related bugs in Launchpad and I found the following bug, BUT it's for Ubuntu 18.10 (and not for 16.04) and it's for "mate-notification-daemon" version 1.20.1-1 (instead of 1.12.1-1):

This issue seems to be quite "challenging" to troubleshoot. :confused:

Happens to me every time I log in, on my three computers. I'm on Ubuntu MATE 18.04.4. Never seen this when I used Mint MATE, btw.