Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Beta 2 on Macbook Pro(3,1) : Installer iso loads to grub console

[SOLUTION]

Future Updates will be done here: Booting Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Beta 2 on MacBook Pro (3,1)

To single boot Ubuntu Mate Linux 16.04 Beta 2 on a 2007 MacBook Pro(3,1):

To create the USB media, simply dd the iso to the USB stick, it will just work:
dd bs=4M if=path.to.iso of=/dev/sd_ status=progress && sync

When the MBP boots, hold the ā€œAltā€ key until boot options come up, choose ā€œEFI BOOTā€

When grub comes up, edit the grub menu and add ā€œnomodesetā€ to the grub line, then boot. Otherwise I got a black screen.

When installing Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Beta 2, the default partitioning options did NOT work for me (the system did not find any bootable devices). I did one giant partition which had / and /boot/ and /home etc etc, then 1 swap partition. This worked.

I will update with tweaks and tips as I go.

[ORIGINAL POST]

I have a Macbook Pro(3,1), 2007 edition, 2.4Ghz Dual Core. I have a properly formatted USB with the correct efi configuration. I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Beta 2 x64 iso loaded as boot.iso on the USB installer.

When I turn the laptop on with the USB inserted, I see the ā€œEFI Bootā€ option. When I select that, I am brought to a black grub prompt.

Iā€™m not sure how to proceed; the USB is formatted correctly since the MBP sees it. I believe the iso is being read since grub would be within that. All documentation I find on the grub prompt seems to refer to systems with an OS already installed, and the recommendation is to reconfigure grubā€¦this laptop has a brand new SSD so thereā€™s no OS to boot from. The optical drive is long dead (so itā€™s been replaced with a caddy for another hard drive).

I am not sure itā€™s specifically an Ubuntu Mate issue, as Ubuntu 16.04 also does the same thing. I plan on trying an older LTS shortly. Nevertheless, if thereā€™s any guidance to do something on the grub screen, Iā€™d love to try it. Thanks!

First off, my disclaimer :slight_smile: I do not use apple products and have not yet owned anything new enough to offer EFI. But I do have an idea.

Since this seems to be an EFI problem, I may be able to at least point you to this.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=Macbook+Pro+efi+ubuntu+oldfred&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9

Not much, but may help. Oh, the ā€˜oldfredā€™ in the search is a resident EFI expert there. Anything he says can pretty much be taken as the gospel :slight_smile:

Not that we donā€™t have good help here, we do. Just depends whos on line. I expect there will be other comments.

And last, here is one of our tutorials.

Good luck :wave:

1 Like

Read the Apple Mac section here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

1 Like

Iā€™ll check that out. Since I posted, Ubuntu 12.04LTS and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS all had the same resultā€¦making me question my efi configuration. Iā€™m currently re-burning the USB with unetbootin, then Iā€™ll try this.

I was overcomplicating things. Iā€™d read about doing things with /efi/boot folders and renaming iso files to ā€œboot.isoā€. Turns out, ddā€™ing the iso to a thumb drive works acceptably.

Appreciate the help!

1 Like

One more thing! I got it to get to the real grub screen by ddā€™ing the image, then when I choose ANYTHING (Install, Boot Live, even Disk Check) it would just show a black screen. In grub, I had to edit the launch line and add ā€œnomodesetā€ then it booted normally. Hopefully this helps someone else!

1 Like

I have more updatesā€¦Iā€™m gonna start editing/updating my OP :confused:

Hi @surfrock66,

you might want to move this thread to the tuts section as you have solved it and you have done an edit!. :smiley: (Just a suggestion btw!).

Done! Booting Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Beta 2 on MacBook Pro (3,1)

1 Like