Ubuntu Mate 16.04 screen distortion issue on Asus Eee 1000H

I’ve installed Ubuntu Mate on an old Asus Eee 1000H as my daughter’s first computer, and running from the SD card worked fine.

But once I installed it, the splash screen would glitch visually, causing the desktop screen to be largely obscured by a black box covered in horizontal lines (distorted text from some loading blurb, I assume). Locking and unlocking the screen fixed the problem. The screen displays normally at the correct resolution and my graphics driver (i915) is listed and the display is correctly recognised.

However, when I looked up how to sort it for good, I found about ‘nomodeset’. Setting ‘nomodeset’ does stop the visual glitch, but now the screen is locked in 800x600 and I can’t seem to set/load the graphics driver to i915 to correct the resolution.

Does anyone have a solution, or know of a post on this site or others that does? I’ve been looking through a lot, but I must be missing something (probably something painfully obvious). Thank you!

28/03/2018 Edit: I tried to take a screenshot of the glitched screen and the screenshot showed my desktop as if the glitched window wasn’t there. So it seems the screen is not clearing some glitched output from loading before drawing the desktop. Not sure where to go from here.

Hi @eeemum,

this is for SIS graphics but might help you?:

Set SIS graphics @1024x768 (l)ubuntu (mate) 14.04 and 16,04/16.10 :smiley:

Thank you for the link. Alas, it didn’t work, but I appreciate it!

1 Like

HI @eeemum,

try running “dpkg” per the update guide (network cable connection required) which may/may not help you solve the problem:

Ubuntu Mate Update Guide :smiley: