Ubuntu MATE 16.10 just won't install correctly

How very odd. try installing the essential Ubuntu MATE meta packages on the problematic install:

sudo apt install ubuntu-mate-desktop ubuntu-mate-core

This will “fill in the blanks” if anything is missing, or at least present an error.

If Welcome/Boutique are in the menu but simply do not launch, then this would be a different issue.

Okay Yes they are in the Menu but they dont Launch. including welcome not opening on startup.
So is it a problem with the ISO or?

In that case, it’s not a problem with the installation, but rather a fault with the Welcome / Boutique. Please try running Welcome from the terminal:

ubuntu-mate-welcome

(At this time of writing, Boutique is the same application, but launches with -b as a parameter)

This will output something useful for me to identify/investigate, as it’s apparent the program just silently fails.

It could be possible it fails to initialise Apt, which causes the whole thing to crash. This has happened with another member when their Apt index was messed up.

You could try opting in to the Welcome Updates PPA too, which had newer versions then the Yakkety archive:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mate-dev/welcome
sudo apt update
sudo apt install ubuntu-mate-welcome
2 Likes

i might try that. But will it help to say that i tried Updating to the Latest Version of Software listing/welcome from the Software updater or what ever the name of the Program you use to get updates ? i thought it might solve it.
i will try The Terminal Command on a Virtual machine, since i have been Reinstalling Operating systems on my laptop way to much that i don’t want to Abuse the Read Cycles of the SSD.

I think i found my Issue. I set my Keyboard Layout to Hebrew But the system Language is english. as in i have Hebrew and Language in the Keyboard settings. Seems like a bug. did not happen in 16.04

so is there a way to fix it?

Hi @Shy_tzedaka,

have you installed the Hebrew language pack?:

Well thats if i want my system language to be Hebrew. i want it to be English. and have my keyboard settings english/hebrew. I was able to do this 16.04 but on 16.10 i cant do it in a clean install.

Definitely some sort of locale problem. Either something wrong with the locale settings on the system or the getlocale module doesn’t recognize en_IL for some reason.

However, I can fix Welcome so that it can fallback to English instead of raising an exception and failing if the locale is unknown.

In the meantime, you should be able to workaround this by manually specifying the locale:

ubuntu-mate-welcome --locale=en
3 Likes

You don’t have to completely change the language layout, just install the Hebrew language pack!. :smiley:

Alright. Thanks i will be Checking on to see if the issue is solved.

Its probably also worth Noting the fact that the QT 4 Settings icon is missing in Ubuntu 16.10
this also happens when you upgrade from 16.04. However QT 4 Still Works. (worth noting)

Hi @Shy_tzedaka,

did you try "Welcome > Software > Fixes"?:

Have you made sure that you only have your own keyboard in the layout preferences?. (Control Center > Hardware > Keyboard > Layouts):

Yes i have, we are talking about a fresh install. Something that shouldn’t have Any issues what so ever. (atleast issues like these)

Hey. is it possible that this bug is now fixed. Or will be fixed in Ubuntu MATE 17.04? im asking this just to make sure the bug is already fixed.

Sorry, it’s still on the list of issues to fix, but it hasn’t been forgotten. :slight_smile:

At the moment, Welcome and Software Boutique development just restarted and currently in the process of being separated. It’ll definitely be fixed in 17.04. Perhaps 16.10 and 16.04 too, but neither of those packages have been updated for months. :confused:

As far as i know there is no need in 16.04 as it works Perfectly there. Thank you for your responce

Hello I’m asking to see if you have fixed the bug yet in release 17.04. I haven’t checked yet. Thanks

Hi, sorry this did get buried, but I committed a fix and will be available in the next update.

It’s simple, Welcome will not crash when gettext fails like your screenshot shows. Why this happens in the first place is a deeper issue (related with the python3-polib module)

Messaging from Quite an Late State. im Happy to Confirm that the Issue was Indeed Resolved. Having a Great time Using Ubuntu MATE so far!