Ubuntu MATE 17.04 Beta 2 is out!

Been using 17.04 as my daily for some time now and I can say with confidence that it is absolutely the best yet IMHO. Thank you @Wimpy, the MATE team, and the rest of the devs for the continued effort.

3 Likes

BTW, when upgrading from 17.04 Alpha, mate-calc doesn’t actually “replace” galculator, it’s just installed along with it (pulled in by metapackage update). You’ll have to remove galculator manually then.

I found this out because I just installed 17.04 Alpha yesterday and then installed all the updates… literally a few hours before this announcement appeared :laughing:

4 Likes

For 32 bit machines too?

32 bit support was dropped.

By who?

Only 32-bit PowerPC support was dropped. i386 is still very much alive. See the announcement:

PowerPC support is being dropped

1 Like

Just installed as a VM. got a problem with Guest Additions.

My usual procedure is to install, then log in and install dkms. Then insert guest additions CD and open in a terminal. Then execute the following command “sudo sh ./VBoxLinux Additions.run”

However, when this last command has finished executing, I get the following error:

“failed to set up service vboxadd”

Have been on the forums and have tried installing the following:

build essential - module assistant - linux-headers

Still not fixed though

I just install virtualbox-guest-dkms + virtualbox-guest-utils + virtualbox-guest-x11 packages, then reboot the VM, and that does it.

1 Like

Yep

Although the “error” did not go away initially. When I rebooted, all was fine. So panic over…:slight_smile:

And may I say…UM 17.04 is looking fantastic! I’ve been pushing it hard in the VM and nothing has gone awry yet.

I might be tempted…:smiley:

I just updated my main system (from 16.10). The upgrade went off without a hitch, despite having removed some built-in apps like LibreOffice and Shotwell. Looks like the new ubuntu-mate-desktop metapackages using recommends from 16.10 on work perfectly.

1 Like

Edit: @Wimpy, apologies, retrospectively should have posted this in Development section under bugs. Please feel free to move this post to a more suitable location. Thank you.

Anyone else seeing this issue with fresh install of 17.04 Beta 2, default Ambiant-MATE theme, and mate-menu (Advanced menu)? All Window managers show the same.

Images captured from VirtualBox

@DaveB [quote=“DaveB, post:17, topic:12168”]
All Window managers show the same.
[/quote]

What does your set of images show? It is not clear to me and perhaps others…

Hi, Images show (due to recent changes) an Ambiant-MATE theme issue with Advanced menu entries.

In comparison, below is Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2

By default, Ubuntu MATE 16.10 Advanced menu uses a complimentary dark theme, as seen below.

Version 17.04 seems half and half, but I'm sure boxes around entries shouldn't be there?

Ah, gotcha. I see what you mean. Thanks DaveB.

Fixes for MATE Menu, and other themes issues, are in the pipeline.

1 Like

@Wimpy here's one outstanding theme issue that earned the ire of one reviewer last time around:

Yes, this one isn’t solved yet.

1 Like

You wouldn’t believe such a small thing is almost impossible to fix.

2 Likes

@Wimpy @monsta, Maybe the solution is not struggling to fix the issue, instead circumvent it?

Proposed re-design:

• Replace option slider with a combobox
  • Remove 'Activate screensaver when computer is idle' (combobox 'Never' option (see below) is equivalent to un-checking this. Also improves usability by making options easier to understand)

GIMP mock-up

Offering the following combobox options (same as Cinnamon) should suffice?

Never 1 minute 5 minutes 10 minutes 15 minutes 30 minutes 45 minutes 1 hour

6 Likes