Ubuntu MATE 17.04 Beta 2

Replies to this topic will appear as comments at the bottom of this blog post.

Originally posted by philthynz (disqus_y52rglvluK) on 2017-03-23

Nice work! I really like the new theme and menu.

Just 2 noticeable bugs:

1. Can't select sticky notes - https://bugs.launchpad.net/...
2. 2x network icons from notifier applet 1.18 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/... / https://ubuntu-mate.communi...

Originally posted by Nigel (disqus_LasrtO7EpZ) on 2017-03-24

Great work! Just a little suggestion, would you include in the article how to "upgrade" from 16.10 to 17.04 beta?
I've searched the Internet and found the trick, and I think adding this to the article would definitely help.

Thanks for those bugs reports. The Ambiant-MATE Dark theme will be getting some more improvements before final :-)

Ubuntu mate = The best distro.

Originally posted by Pinkfish (PinkFishProton) on 2017-04-01

Thank you guys so much for your work on this. I've come from Mint MATE and I told everyone there to move to this as it's a far superior and much more supporter platform.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mint MATE stopped totally due to the fantastic nature of Ubuntu MATE.

I'm a little worried if this will die if lead developer stops working but until then this project is just awesome.

Originally posted by Callista Graves (callistagraves) on 2017-04-10

Just installed last evening, coming from Elementary.

I am immediately struck by how much at home I feel in Mate, as Gnome 2, in my opinion, was the single most useful desktop environment that I have ever used.

Many, many kudos to you and the devs, Wimpy, you are doing a real public service.

And the Software Boutique?

I have been using Gnu/Linux since Slackware 4.0, and while I do not need it, I found it far more preferable to be able to do my first boot, update the system, and after some clicks and some waiting, get to work straight away.

Chuffed? I don't think that's quite strong enough to tell you how I feel about Ubuntu Mate.

Wimpy, you, my friend, are a real mensch!

Mazel Tov on the brilliant work!

Originally posted by Servicefuzzi (servicefuzzi) on 2017-04-13

i installed mate 17.04 alpha, how can i upgrade to the beta? My info center still says V1.16.
And is there a backport repository for mate?

Originally posted by שי קדוש (disqus_K0kFDzctvO) on 2017-04-15

mate is the best

Originally posted by James Totten (james_totten) on 2017-05-05

I noticed 3 times in a row after downloading when I would click the folder for "Show Download" the Firefox session or on occasion the entire system would lockup. I think it is tied to the graphical interface. I could bring up a tty terminal and issue a sync command and then a reboot command and get out. I have Compiz activated. I just thought of that. I will deactivate it and see if I have the same issue and come back with an update.

Well It is something freaky, I deactivated Compiz and it did not lock up completely but did keep the download screen on top and when you click on something else at the bottom of the screen you would get the graphical effect of closing a window yet you were still in the same window. So not Compiz related unless once deactivated something stays engaged that can still cause issues.

Thanks to all you guys for all the hard work. Still my favorite of the available flavors.