Ubuntu MATE 17.10.1 [Using XFS] Installs But Doesn't Boot

I’ve recently downloaded the 17.10.1 ISO for Ubuntu MATE to install on my laptop. Unfortunately, despite the installation proceeding and completing without hassle, the system does not boot after I restart. Here’s what I’ve done so far ( please note that this worked flawlessly in the past, and works fine with Ubuntu proper, and Ubuntu based systems like Elementary OS and Mint )…

Upon boot, I selected Install Ubuntu MATE. I then connected to WiFi, and began the installation process. Custom partitioning options selected and are as follows. 1a) New Partition Table. 2a) New 768MB EFI partition. 3a) New 768MB Ext4 /boot partition. 4a) New 242000MB XFS / partition. 5a) New 12GB swap partition. 6a) Install bootloader to `/dev/sda1’, where the EFI partition is. 7a) Reboot to nothing. System can’t even be found in the UEFI file explorer. So I tried this again, three times to no avail.

So I changed my method. I figured maybe we don’t need a separate /boot anymore. Maybe Ubuntu’s GRUB is finally up to snuff, and I was hopeful! Until I wasn’t… I followed the same steps as above with the only exception being no separate /boot partition. No such luck. I then booted into the live system and tried to manually format things with GParted, then assign mount points in the installer… No bueno.

Is anyone aware of an existing issue that may be stopping me? Any tips? Also, yes, I very much do intend to use XFS and not Ext4 for my root partition. Any assistance would be appreciated. ( I’m also willing to file bug reports and help there, I just have no idea where the issue lies, so I don’t know what or where to file. ) @Wimpy, do you have any advice or suggestions?

I’m having the exact same issue creating an Ubuntu 17.10 Virtual Box image. I installed it as normal and it booted. No /boot partition. I rebooted with the ISO image again, changed the partition type to XFS and reinstalled. Now it just boots to a grub prompt.

I’m fairly certain I’ve installed with btrfs as my root partition, but hadn’t tried that with XFS before. I’ll try the ext4 /boot with the rest XFS and see what happens.

Flagging @Wimpy because Schyken asked him about this originally.

By using an ext4 /boot partition, and /var and / (root) partitions as XFS, it now boots to the login screen, where it has never gotten past grub before.

I guess the lesson learned here is that grub cannot read info from the /boot directory when formatted as XFS. @Schyken, go ahead and open a ticket with Ubuntu if you wish. I can live with /boot being ext4 yet agree that it should work on a 100% XFS system.