Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Beta 2 is out

###Join the Mutiny!
We are sorry to announce that in this final beta of Ubuntu MATE 17.10 we’ve added new features to Caja, the MATE file manager. We realise this is somewhat unconventional and would also like issue fair warning to our community that we’ll be adding more new features to Caja during the the 18.04 development cycle. I know, we’re a bit kooky like that.

:heavy_check_mark: Feature rich file manager
:heavy_check_mark: Slick Greeter
:heavy_check_mark: Global Menus
:heavy_check_mark: Heads-up Display (HUD)
:heavy_check_mark: Super key to active menu launchers
:heavy_check_mark: Functional alternative to Unity 7 for those that want it and a traditional desktop for those that don’t

Read on to find out more…

– Martin Wimpress

4 Likes

It’s amazing. These new Ubuntu MATE builds are the best yet. MATE 1.18 was the push it needed, imo.

If I only had the option to use one platform, it would be UM. I don’t think I’ll ever find a more well-thought out, considerate (to the point of the MW overriding his own preferences in favour of the overall thoughts of the users) and intuitive distribution. I still can’t get over how well fonts render in comparison to other platforms. For me, legibility has been a massive reason for choosing UM.

A huge thanks for the team’s work on this, and future releases, it’s deeply appreciated.

1 Like

We realise this is somewhat unconventional and would also like issue fair warning to our community that we’ll be adding more new features to Caja during the the 18.04 development cycle

Any spoilers ?

Only the ones you apply.

How long will Ubuntu mate 17.10 beta pre-release be available for testing?

I installed it on one of my machines and I have to say I’m loving it

Is 17.04 the next LTS release?17.10 has that option to change the Global menu does 17.04 have The same options? I haven’t tried it yet that’s why I’m asking

Thanks so much

It will be available until Ubuntu-MATE 17.10 final is released, i.e. October 19.

The next LTS is 18.04, which will be released in April 2018. It will have the global menu, as 17.10 does.

Thanks so much for the clarification I’ve always love Mate but not that menu, ai know the new release has the brisk menu and it works very well. I only use the LTS releases but wanted to see what 17.10 was about

This topic was automatically closed after 19 days. New replies are no longer allowed.