Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Beta 1 is out

Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) Beta 1 is available for your delight and delectation :grinning:

12 Likes

Also see - http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/18.04/beta-1/

4 Likes

Just installed it on VM. Works very well.

But I have small problem with caja-dropbox (DropBox integration with Caja).
It does not want to autostart (see bug 1604439).
I still need to run caja-dropbox autostart y manually on all supported Ubuntu releases and in development 18.04 LTS.

Just curious - what is current equivalent of GNOME Online Accounts from GNOME Control Center? Original one (gnome-control-center online-accounts) is unusable on MATE session.
Other user and I confirm this issue. We reported it to launchpad as bug 1754942. Moreover credentials-preferences (exists in 16.04 LTS MATE) is unavailable here because of absent of unity-control-center-signon package.

All other functionality acts as expected. Thank you, @Wimpy :slight_smile:

Why can’t you get this on Raspberry Pi?:frowning:

From https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-bionic-beta1/

Raspberry Pi images

We’re am planning on releasing Ubuntu MATE images for the Raspberry Pi around the time 18.04.1 is released, which should be sometime in July. It takes about a month to get the Raspberry Pi images built and tested and we simply don’t have time to do this in time for the April release of 18.04.

I downloaded the iso yesterday, burned it, and installed it on 3 laptops including my daily driver. The live dvd would boot up with some error I disregarded, and the fresh install booted up with thew same error which I disregarded as well. After the fresh installs I ran “sudo apt full-upgrade” then rebooted. Error was gone and all is working just fine. Installed all of the stuff I normally use with the exception of makemkv which isn’t in the Boutique or in a working Bionic PPA at this time.

My only question at this time is when Bionic releases the end of April will I be able to just full-upgrade or dist-upgrade and keep trucking right along, or will it require new installs. In my mind I’m thinking more than likely the first along with disabling the developer side of things. Just trying to avoid another day long session of setting up systems.

@Wimpy and the developers a big thumbs up. So far everything looks and is working very well on my end.

Thanks for the feedback, you’ll be able to update your way to final, no reinstall required.

1 Like

I downloaded it via torrent. But it is 2GB in size, on the page it says 1.8 GB. Checksum is fine.

Any reason to worry ?

If you needed to round the checksum as well, that would be cause to worry.