Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS is out!

It was a last minute scramble for everyone involved, not just Ubuntu MATE but all the flavours. But together we triumphed. I hope you enjoy the new release :smiley:

22 Likes

Downloaded and donated, thanks for another amazing release. The late nights, long hours, and sustained effort, theyā€™re all deeply appreciated!

Keep doing what youā€™re doing, it makes a big difference to peoples lives.

8 Likes

Thank you so much :+1:

Had donated the symbolic price of a Windows 10 licence already two weeks ago. It was a pleasure.

4 Likes

Last night I waited, waited, waited... and falling asleep ...

This morning I woke up - GO BEAVER GO! :hamster:
I hope that the Serbian flag will also appear on someone's monitor :sunny:

4 Likes

Woohoo! Songs will be sung of this day! :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry babe Iā€™ll be late on the date
'cause Iā€™am downloading the ubuntu mate

My heart still brims in the fever
'cause I have you and the bionic beaver

:guitar:

6 Likes

Thank you to all who created 18.04 UM, It is a very good release imo

2 Likes

Iā€™d do the upgrade to 18.04, butā€¦ hibernate / resume from hibernate does not work. Doesnā€™t matter what kernel (4.15x or 4.16.x) I install. And this on all 3 PCs, with fresh Ubuntu (MATE, GNOME) 18.04. Issue is not related to MATE, itā€™s Ubuntu related.

Issues have already been reported but no solution by now.
Hibernate / Resume from Hibernate work perfectly in Ubuntu MATE17.10 / Linux Mint 18.3 / Debian 9 using kernel 4.15.x / 4.16.x.

Will stick with Ubuntu 17.10 until the issue with Hibernate / Resume from Hibernate is solved, or until I decide to move to another distro (I would hate it, because Ubuntu MATE was ā€œmy homeā€ for the last 20 months).

Iā€™ve seen Ubuntu MATE 18.04 in action (always fresh install) and Iā€™m really impressed / thrilled! Everything works as expected, no single issue, faster than on previous Ubuntu MATE versionsā€¦simply perfect!

Congratulations and Thank You so much for this great release!

1 Like

Glory!!!

Mate is perfect!!!

Thank you for all of your hard and excellent work!!!

Okay, good job is done.

As you can expect, many fans are in the process of reinstallation
Today, I had many system errors that were sent automatically for analysis

Upgrade (via terminal) from 16.04 to 18.04 did not even start

The first installation in native language went bad.
First I was upset by an idiotic translation
We can still regulate this for the future

However, initial localization in native language later caused problems with changing to English localizations

Reinstallation had to be done, now in English and after installation do whatever you want

Adding keyboard layouts does not work properly.
It must be started several times to be accepted

MATE Tweak - panel layout also does not always work properly
When an blank panel is obtained, it is necessary to select the reset panel with the right mouse button

And something positive:
drivers for an intel graphic card are finally right
Tux Racer is very fast :smiley:

I hope I did not make many mistakes in writing, I just want to help
Generally - an impressive system

2 Likes

Any timeline for when hplip is slated for 18.04 release compatibility? v3.18.4 apparently has ā€œ18.04 betaā€ compatibility: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/release_notes

(ref: this thread.)

Hello again!

1. Screensaver must be opt out or we will get stuck in a unstoppable process.
    Hard power off is needed.

2. After entering password the auth. key is still present

1. And there is HugeFox icon no matter is it MARCO on/off or we change layout, neither the graphical theme...

I made a thread about that issue last month: Firefox v59 has a ridiculously-large static desktop icon?
Someone mentioned thunderbird is also affected: Thunderbird with HUGE icons/emoticons (MATE 18.04)

ā€¦my guess itā€™s an issue with the emojione font set.

1 Like

@daniel66666
thank you, Iā€™ll check it out now
YES! IT WORKS!

@Wimpy
when can we expect 18.04.1?

I also had a problem with MATE TWEAK selecting hidpi (now is set to regular)
I hardly found a tip to reset the configuration

dconf reset -f /

screensaver now works, Iā€™m totally confused

Anyway, I love this MATE so my basic experience helped me overcome some problems from which the beginners would give up

2 Likes

Iā€™ve played around with it for a bit on a live usb - looks and feels amazing! Congrats on an excellent job!

Thanks!
Iā€™m not sure if anyone else is having issues with the Torrents download, but Iā€™m not able to use it. The Direct download links work, but nothing comes down via the magnet link from the download page.

• Ok, things seem to be working now. I tried it on another machine at my house, and Iā€™m not sure if it was a co-incidence or what, but things are working as they should.

Please disregard.

I must repeat this - after reseting the MATE config almost all things are back on their right place and works normaly without any of mentioned (weird) symptoms above
For an example setting of additional keyboard layouts is normal again, no single complaintā€¦

APP GRID is added manually because is not offered in Software Boutique
Missing:

1. YT-DOWNLOADER with GUI (was offered in 16.04 Boutique)
  2. Compiz Manager (to rotate destktop)

And again - drivers for my old graphic card are fantastic!
Tux Racer is fast even there is a lot of snow
SuperTux Kart is also welcome for testing purposes - on 16.04 didnt work, now is ok

So, reset the config and save the nerves

UBUNTU MATE 18.04 IS FANTASTIC!

1 Like

Thank you Ubuntu-MATE team. You rock and so does your distro. Whimpy, I liked your recent guest appearance on Destination Linux. Some awesome 18.04 info shared.

Again, THANKS!
Andamo

Congratulations. Itā€™s beautiful.

1 Like