Ubuntu MATE 18.04 on Raspberry Pi 3 B won't boot into GUI

I flashed Ubuntu MATE 18.04 onto my microSDHC card and booted my Raspberry Pi 3 B with it.
Unfortunately I do net get any output on my monitor which is connected via a HDMI cable.

The SD card is working fine and the Raspberry Pi seems to boot, as it got assigned a network IP address.

I tried to boot with my old Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and there I have a output on my monitor.

What can I do to fix this problem? Is this a bug in Ubuntu MATE 18.04?

This one is a bit tricky -
did you have the monitor on before you booted?
What res did you have under 16.04?
You might be able to get things going if you have a look in the SDCard FAT partition for config.txt and edit the display parameters there.
I assume that you won't be able to SSH in as you haven't yet been able to configure the system
Derek

The monitor was connected before boot.

I experimented with the hdmi settings in the config.txt file, but it did not work. I continued to have a black screen. Ubuntu 16.04 booted with Full HD resolution.

I ended up installing the Ubuntu server image for Raspberry Pi and installing the mate desktop afterwards. That worked but now I don't have the full resolution and setting everything up is more work.

Hi, this thread helped me thanks, because I was connected to a screen through DVI, using an HDMI to DVI convertor. I had to go into the mentioned config.txt on the boot partition and changed the HDdrive setting from HDMI to DVI. This solved it for me.

It worked straight strangely enough when I was using a vga screen with VGA to HDMI convertor. It seems that connecting via DVI does not trigger the autodetection in the boot config.