Ubuntu MATE 18.10 - dropping i386 images

NO NEGOTIATIONS WITH THE 64bit ADVOCATES!

THEY ARE ALL WORK FOR THE BANK!
LINUX IS FOR FREE!

WE DO NOT NEED THE NEW PROGRESS BECAUSE IT WILL COSTS US TOO MUCH!

IF YOU WANT THE WAR THEN YOU WILL HAVE IT
WE ARE HAPPY WITH THE OLD TECHNOLOGY

TO ARMS MY x86 BROTHERS!
DEFEND OURSELVES FROM THE GREEDY BANKERS AND INDUSTRIALISTS!

THEY ALL ALREADY HAVE MORE THAN ENOGUH AND THEY ARE STILL NOT HAPPY?
CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT?

HOW MUCH DO YOU REALLY NEED AND DOES IT EXISTS ANYWAY?
ONE APE ON THE TOP OF THE HILL
IS THIS THAT YOU DREAM ABOUT?

yes?
how much is the discount now?
wellā€¦ we will gladly consider this nice offerā€¦

Thatā€™s my case. I have a Samsung N150 netbook running UM 16.04 32 bits because hardware only support up to 2 GB. I tried with 64 bits but RAM usage is too much high and it freezes several times.

Nothing is ā€œfreeā€ that is also in scarce supply. Developer labor time is in scarce supply. There is a price being paid in quality for the ā€œfreeā€ price tag. There is a price being paid for the distributed nature of the development. I donā€™t mind paying for a product that adds value to my life. My best Linux experience was a for-profit distro that had a relentless focus on the user experience.

Iā€™ll give you a small example. The desktop behavior does not stay consistent. Between upgrades the default behavior changes. Gimp defaults to the upper left corner of display 0, even after I have started working in display 1. Before 18.04 the optimization dialog used to open in that corner, but now it shows in the middle of display 0 even if the image is being edited in display 1. When I close an image off the main window again jumps to the corner. If I open multiple files from a file manager they will open on display 0 or display 1 or both with no discernible logic. If I finish with one image, and then open another one, before closing the image window, then it opens in the display being currently used. None of this behavior stays consistent across upgrades, therefore I am unable to settle into a workflow and speed it up through habit. In 18.04 I have to click in a window to bring it into focus, ctrl click will not workā€”hence, I often end up opening and closing files just to reactivate an open file manager window. Or, I click on the title bar if it is not covered by the active window.

Another small example. The read/write operations to a mounted Samba drive are very, very slow. In 18.04 it has become even slower than before. The relevant computers are connected by cat 6 wire, and actual file transfers happen very fast. The progress box hangs on 0 for close to 30 seconds, then dashes across to 100, pauses for a few seconds and then closes off. If I open a file from a Samba drive it is sometimes quick, and sometimes very slow. If I am moving a large file it will hang after reaching 100% for about 15 seconds. These are all minor annoyances but they eat up time which is valuable. If there are 1000s of items in a directory Caja will take forever to display them, even in list modeā€”I never ask Caja to display thumbnails because that will take forever and use the CPU heavily, each and every time I visit the directory. Windows Explorer is quite sucky but it is now better and quicker than either Caja or PCManFM, which is hard to believe but this is my experience. The search tool in Caja never works, but the search tool in PCManFM works.

Let me not start on Firefox which is now a POS, sorry. In 18.04 it takes up enormous amounts of CPU. Ordinary page loads take very long and max out the CPU. If a Youtube video is playing it becomes very sluggish, and the CPU usage is so high it actually slows the desktop down! This is a 4th gen. i7 with 12Gb of RAM and SSD. It even has a 16Gb embedded SSD which is swap space.

This is not intended as a critique of the Mate team. Iā€™m pretty sure most of these thingsā€”I did not recount all issues, only someā€”are beyond the Mate teamā€™s domain. This is only to show why ā€œfreeā€ is not always the highest value proposition. Linux will never be able to compete effectively with Mac or Windows unless a distro decides to do it for profit, which is unlikely to happen now. It needs a unified strategy and a laser focus on the end user experience. My 16.04 experience was very good, once I had finished tinkering with it and customizing it. (I made a huge blunder in not keeping a drive image backupā€”never again.) I am still hoping to get that level of workflow back with 18.04.1.

1 Like

I understand those feelings. Iā€™m quite content with 16.04.4 and have no intentions of upgrading until 18.04.2 is available. And then only after much testing.

2 Likes

Good idea, Steve! If I get to a smooth running 18.04 Iā€™ll treat it as pure gold.

Hi @kneekoo,

this is a deliberate ploy by the manufacturers so they can make as much money as possible while buying only the cheapest components, a girlfriend of mine bought an ASUS laptop not knowing that the 1.7 GHz dual core CPU was a piece of s*#t, sure it had a 500GB HDD and 6GB RAM with Windows 8 but it is still as slow as a snail on a hot summers day. :smiley:

The same applies today, buy a new laptop, most of them only have 64GB SSDā€™s with micro connectors for HDMI and card readers, no network connector and only 2 USB ports if you are lucky, don#t get me started on Crapple as they are even worse with their adaptors you have to buy!.:smiley:

The distro makers arenā€™t responsible for the hardware in a PC/Laptop and can really only develop around what they have, do they look to the future or the past?. :smiley:

I am not knocking you in any way, just stating how I see things. :thumbsup:

The distro makers are responsible for not trying to make it clear for everyone that the big problem is not about old 32-bit-only CPUs (which we still have many, though), but the fact that we have poor hardware still being sold today.

Supporting 32-bit is not cheap, but itā€™s important. So the solution is not to drop it, but rather issue a wake up call for the people to be careful about what they buy, and ask them to support the maintenance of the 32-bit ISOs for a while longer. Many people, including businesses, would gladly offer their financial support for this purpose. Especially businesses can profit a lot from using 32-bit VM instances for many purposes. The savings in RAM alone is significant, and buying new servers just because the old ones reached their RAM limit is a lot more expensive.

4 Likes

Firefox use too much resources both in the Linux and Windows
And after watching few videos on the WEB it start to slow down normal work
It can be funny if you watch videos about the ghosts and recieve those glitches in the browserā€¦
I can admit the ghosts are really big nationalists and they are always keep the national folclore
I mean that what you can find about them in England can not be found in India
Also our ghosts behave on the totally an another wayā€¦
But Firefox is still slow down in dealing with them
Maybe the next version will fix this issue?

Ubuntu Mate is my favorite distro, because of Mate desktop.
I am not an IT guy, but I own around 7 laptops and 6 desktops. 3 laptops and 1 desktop is 32bit only (the 32bit desktop is used by my mother to browse some time the internet).

I chose this desktop because it has exactly the feature that I need compare with LXDE, it is quite well maintained compared with XFCE, is more stable than KDE, and works on all of my system quite well.

But I want to be honest this desktop is far from being ā€œtop qualityā€ is more like a beta, a free quality (you get it as it is).

• The panel menus if you try to configure has never worked OK no mater what version of Mate you use .
  • Video acceleration it depends by computer you use, on some the window is accelerated but not the content, on other default mate windows are but other apps like Firefox not, on others apps like Firefox is accelerated but mate apps not, so no consistency, it differ by the system you use, or on some even if you add or not external monitor.
  • they have different random issue like upgrading on 32bit 17.10 does not load lightdm greeter, on 18.04 same systems does not replace lightdm with slick greeter config, so I have to do it manually. They also does not shut down all the time. Same systems on 16.04 the ā€œplymoothā€ style log-out logo shows random colors but somehow was fixed in 18.04

SO

• MATE DESKTOP IS DROPPING 32BIT SUPPORT TODAY 2018.05.04 SO FORGET IT, NO ONE IS CARING ABOUT 32bit
  • IT NEVER WORKED OK ON ALL 32BIT SYSTEMS
  • IT ALSO FAR FROM PERFECT on 64BIT SYSTEMS
    Lets go back to Windows XP, at least that one works perfectly on 32bit system.

AS YOU ALREADY KNOW, JUST REMIND YOU, MOSTLY SECURITY BUGS ARE ADDED TO LTS RELESES, THE OTHERS ARE PORTED FROM DEVELOPMENT, SO IF NO DEVELOPMENT ON 32, THERE WILL BE NO 32bit SPECIFIC FIXES (like par example the MARCO Acceleratin that on my system is worser than 16.04), END OF STORY, YOU REMAIN WITH WHAT YOU HAVE UNTIL NOW FROM UBUNTU MATE, SORRY IF I AM WRONG.

So I have to chose something else for my 32bit systems, I retested Lubuntu but on that one I canā€™t add a second menu bar with app shortcuts, so is a no go, maybe something elseā€¦

I installed Ubuntu MATE 18.04 32 bit on a 10 year old Dell laptop recently. The release is a disaster. Way too many bugs. Ubuntu 18.04 is still in Beta. So, I wiped the drive and installed 32 bit Linux Mint MATE 18.3 and it works great. I might revisit Ubuntu MATE 18.04 32 bit in a year and see if it is usable - today it is not.

I prefer Xubuntu over Lubuntu for our 32 bit netbook.

https://xubuntu.org

1 Like

Although I do fully understand the initial reasoning & motive, I am quite unimpressed by the decision actually. Dropping backward compatibility of hardware is exactly the kind of thing Microsoftā€™s monopoly would lust to see - a reduction in competitive edge.

3 Likes

Thanks Steven, supper idea,
I return back on those system do Xfce desktop (Xubuntu Deskto) after 4 years, and it works super. It is more consistent and high Quality than Mate. Even it does not hove such configuration tweaks, or at least I have to search them as are not in the same place as Mate ones, I love it.
I also continue to Love Mate, itā€™s nice green-grey design and right tweaks are my favorite, and hope one day everything will work impeccably, and hope that also further 32bit desktop updates will come, so I continue to have both desktops on that systems and test in the future.

1 Like

I have also pass around to IT department store this last 2 days, and really not impressed, some laptops they even sell today with VGA output, an interface used on CRT displays, very hard to find a laptop with enough USB ports, or 2 display output without VGA one, they even invented USB type C (Apple style connector), so to make them cheaper for them (low number of hardware ports) and expensive for user (apple style high technology - come and by it).

1 Like

I find that preety hard to believe. What sort do you people use for 32 bit os? My unncle owns a computer retail store and I test lots new hardware. Each and every one of them comes with legecy boot from bios. Testing 32 bit os on 64 bit system isnā€™t a problem at all.

No I wonā€™t. Debian is not dropping so I will use debian. But then why canā€™t I use Ubuntu? Where Ubuntu just syncs most things from debian ? I donā€™t really understand the logic.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not the same as testing on a 32 bit pc hardwareā€¦ And using a 32 bit os on a 64 bit os is conter productive. You need to learn the difference between 32 and 64 bit. A little exemplu when upgrading a driver in the kernel you can have regression on older hardware and so on.
You donā€™t understand because you donā€™t know the difference between 32 and 64 bit, difference between Debian and Ubuntu and so on.

The most ironic part for me in all of this is that looking at latest uncovered CPU exploits I have the feeling some agencies might be tempted to rollback to decades old technology in a not so distant future.

3 Likes

Install Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS for i386.

2 Likes

You are. There is process for new features and bugs to be introduced in to LTS releases. Something we are going to take advantage of.

2 Likes

I trust youā€™ve raised bug reports in Launchpad? Without bugs reports there is no chance of us fixing any issues youā€™ve encountered.

5 Likes