Ubuntu MATE 19.10 Beta Testing

Also noticed qbittorrent has icon problems:

flatpak version doesnt show it running on the icon tray (I do get the "its running in the tray" message though lol).

Noticed both obs-studio and qbittorrent are qt programs. Maybe its a common problem for qt apps? can't remember any qt apps with an icon tray I could try...

Thanks to the people who have been brave enough to go first with this!

There are some very welcome fixes - the one about the oversized icons in the indicators - and some decisions I thoroughly approve of: removing Brasero in favour of xfburn is one of the first things I've done with each new install.

There are also a couple where I went WTF...

No VLC shouldn't be removed and if Thunderbird had been, I would have been looking for a new distro. As I don't want or need a calendar in my email client, I am more relaxed about Lightning going.

(I can see that it's too late for these two decisions to be changed, but had I noticed a discussion here when it was being considered, I would have gone 'nooooo'.

MPV is fine for playing one file, once. VLC is much better out of the box for playing more, more often.

I also have zero need for what Evolution brings over Thunderbird, which I suspect is common, and fifteen years of filters etc set up in Thunderbird which is probably less so.)

I'd love to know how many people want the propitiatory Nvidia drivers without having a network connection on installation / upgrade.

If including them pushes the ISO size over 2GB, I would very definitely reconsider this one. You're saving a few users a minor inconvenience at most.

1 Like

Totally agree!

1. MPV (future Celluloid) is fine for playing a file, once, but VLC is "the video player". Don't mind the clear, structured and intelligent UI and menu (even if it looks like from the last century!). It does its job PERFECTLY.
  2. Evolution - I've tried it once in the past. While it is quite perfect, it is not available for Windows (forget about the old Win versions) AND it is not easily customizable via add-ons. Even if my day-to-day PC runs Ubuntu, I still have to use Win notebooks while traveling and for testing the Web-apps with MS IE (still alive in companies) and ME Edge (the original).
  3. I appreciate the thought of keeping the ISO file at about 2GB, but, let's be serious... a 32 GB USB 3.0 stick costs 6,99 Euro (just checked price at Am.z..n)... it looks like the size issue is, in fact, a NON-ISSUE.

Anyway, thank you for keeping VLC Player and Thunderbird in the Software Boutique (which I very much appreciate even after 3 years of Ubuntu / other Linux DE! It is one of the most important and brilliant pieces of software... It's EASY and IT WORKS!).

2 Likes

Up to a point. I can indeed get relatively cheap - especially when compared to the cost of my first 1GB hard drive - large sticks, some of them even with the advertised capacity, but there are a lot of free 2GB sticks out there that are perfect for saying 'Oh, you've been having problems with Windows? Try this...'

Going over 2GB just to save a few Nvidia 'yeah, closed source is ok, no I don't have a network connection' users a few seconds is not quite as bad as the way that the Win 10 'Professional' ISO won't quite fit on a real DVD because they've added two Candy Crush games to a 'Professional' build, but it's not far off.

But if anyone wants to send me some larger ones, PM me for the address details :slight_smile:

Spending a bit more time with 19.10, I realised that the right bottom side has changed. I also have doubled the network connection but more important, instead of the date and time shown, I now can only see the time. I can add the date/time to the panel but the network connection is still doubled as I don't want to miss the Indicator applet.
I'm using the Redmond interface.

Good day, I was using the Welcome center to install multiple applications, and the Codec Packs failed. Not a lot of data in the pup-up, but if you can tell me where to get the necessary data, and where to post it, I'm happy to help provide feedback.

I've been running Ubuntu Mate 19.10 beta on a Dell Optiplex 780 for several months. I had caja-dropbox installed earlier and it was working fine. Recently I noticed the Dropbox panel icon was missing and my Dropbox folder was no longer syncing. When trying to start Dropbox it keeps opening a window saying Caja needs to be restarted. Despite restarting caja, logout and in again, uninstalling, purging and reinstalling Dropbox will not launch. I've read old threads dealing with similar problems an none of these solutions seem to work. Dropbox is still listed in the startup applications but it will not launch. I can only assume that an update broke Dropbox because it was working earlier.

This is a known issue, a fix will be out very soon.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m having an issue with screen brightness so I’ve set to lowest brightness using function keys and changed settings in power management on ac to 5 percent.
It is remembering this setting, but after stepping away from the machine for 15 mins the screen dims black and when resuming screen brightness is back at 100 percent (full brightness)

Can anyone tell me if there is a workaround or hack on how to set the limit so after screen dim it doesn’t go full brightness. Thanks.

This is what happens when I try to start dropbox in a terminal.

rick@rick-OptiPlex-780:~$ caja-dropbox start -i
Starting Dropbox...dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-iJriO3
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.7.2
dropbox: setting program path '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/dropbox'
dropbox: setting home path '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195'
dropbox: setting python path '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195:/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/python-packages-37.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running main script
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/linuxffi.pthread._linuxffi_pthread.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/cpuid.compiled._cpuid.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/tornado.speedups.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/apex._apex.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 18, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/features/catalina_migration/catalina_migration_controller.pyc", line 19, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/features/catalina_migration/catalina_account_context.pyc", line 13, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/features/catalina_migration/alert_dialog.pyc", line 10, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/features/file_locking/base_file_locking_alert.pyc", line 14, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/features/legacy_ui_launcher.pyc", line 21, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/configuration/manager.pyc", line 45, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/configuration/utils.pyc", line 27, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/notifications/loud_notifications/do_not_disturb/model.pyc", line 51, in <module>
  File "ui/common/preferences.pyc", line 21, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 36, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/authentication/control_flow_helpers.pyc", line 3, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/high_trace.pyc", line 53, in <module>
  File "dropbox/client/logging/dbxlog_logger.pyc", line 11, in <module>
  File "apex/dbxlog.pyc", line 14, in <module>
  File "<_bootstrap_overrides>", line 153, in load_module
ImportError: libdropbox_apex.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
!! dropbox: fatal python exception:
['Traceback (most recent call last):\n', '  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 18, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/features/catalina_migration/catalina_migration_controller.pyc", line 19, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/features/catalina_migration/catalina_account_context.pyc", line 13, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/features/catalina_migration/alert_dialog.pyc", line 10, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/features/file_locking/base_file_locking_alert.pyc", line 14, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/features/legacy_ui_launcher.pyc", line 21, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/configuration/manager.pyc", line 45, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/configuration/utils.pyc", line 27, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/notifications/loud_notifications/do_not_disturb/model.pyc", line 51, in <module>\n', '  File "ui/common/preferences.pyc", line 21, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 36, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/authentication/control_flow_helpers.pyc", line 3, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/high_trace.pyc", line 53, in <module>\n', '  File "dropbox/client/logging/dbxlog_logger.pyc", line 11, in <module>\n', '  File "apex/dbxlog.pyc", line 14, in <module>\n', '  File "<_bootstrap_overrides>", line 153, in load_module\n', 'ImportError: libdropbox_apex.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory\n'] (error 3)
Cannot run program dropbox: No such file or directory
The installation of Dropbox failed.

Found this as a proposed solution on another forum:

sudo chmod 755 /opt/dropbox/libdropbox_apex.so

I know chmod changes permissions. Is this a good idea?

session restore is moving all windows placed at the bottom of the screen up by ~8 pixels, and moving all windows placed at the right-hand edge of the screen left by ?about? the same amount. 19.04 didn't have this problem.

A window that was "docked" in the top right corner appeared on the left-hand edge of the screen after restarting. I added that one just to check if it was both "far" edges or only triggered by the bottom edge, so I don't technically know what 19.04 would have done with it but it's probably safe to assume it would have worked since the bottom-right case did.

Leaving that extra (terminal) window in (and moving it back to the RHS) and running mate-session-save before restarting, it came back on the RHS this time, but inset by 8px or so, i.e. suffering from the same bug as the (caja) window in the bottom right corner.

I've grabbed the session file, which I expect will make it clear whether the bug is in the saving or the loading phase of things, and it's filed on Launchpad here.

--

The PC icon (which I see still doesn't have a sensible way to get rid of the useless thing) in the indicator tray incorrectly lists C+A+L as "Lock". Since Keyboard Shortcuts correctly shows that as logout, it seems there's some hardcoded stuff in there somewhere.

MATE Tweak and the Windows applet have overlapping functionality, some of which is broken: e.g. the Windows applet only offers Left and Right for window controls, without the menu on/off choice.

?The Windows applet? just crashed marco - SEGV in, umm, something_something_list I think: there's no Ubuntu account in that VM, so of course it wiped out the crash report, sorry. :frowning:
marco[2739]: segfault at 388 ip 00007f0f95471d21 sp 00007ffe820446f0 error 4 in libmarco-private.so.2.0.0[7f0f9545f000+62000]

The "Edit Startup Program" dialog defaults to a ridiculously tiny size and can't even be REsized. Come on, guys. This isn't a new problem, but it's even worse now with things like an entire shell script for im-startup.

I see we're now up to SIX autostarting "Indicator XYZ" entries... :stuck_out_tongue:

@radax05 - the VirtualBox 6.0.12 packages are in the repo. Ubuntu ones, so not as good as the real thing, but enough to get by with.

I've removed VirtualBox (the version from the virtualbox.org site I've installed in Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and 19.04) and installed the one from the Software Boutique.
VirtualBox from Software Boutique works!
Thank you :slight_smile:

The issue seems to be that caja-dropbox is missing the bin/dropbox file.
I tried installing the dropbox deb from the upstream website + the caja-dropbox package and it work as intended.
It's not the proper fix, but I guess something slipped out of the build config.
I opened a bug on launchpad for the package

1 Like

I do have an issue with VirtualBox 6.0.12_Ubuntu r132055, running kernel 5.3.0-13-generic. When I start up one of my VMs, I am unable to move the window by dragging the top menu bar.

I can confirm this issue:

• run a VirtualBox VM in a not maximized window
    Result: you're not able to move the window of the VM by dragging the window top bar

Hi there,

I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.3 with MATE 1.20.1 When Ubuntu MATE 19.10 beta came out, I read the release notes and I gave it a try with the LiveDVD to see what to expect in the next LTS. Overall, I'm delighted and would like to thank the team for their work.

That said, there's a point I strongly disagree with: " We’ve also cleaned up the window controls by removing the menu button." I wonder why you felt the need to clean up the window controls. I use that nice little menu button all the time and I'm really used to it. I looked everywhere, changed the theme to TraditionalOK but couldn't find a way to bring that menu button back. If you really really want to remove that innocent poor little button that never harmed anyone, could you please provide a setting or an option to bring it back for those who want to do so?

Of course, this is not a bug report as it is a matter of taste but rather a feature request. Thanks in advance for reading this and keep up the good work!

DropBox problem is caused by some changes in the dropbox binary package. I have posted Q&A on AskUbuntu with the solution:

Really all current Ubuntu versions are affected. So it is not 19.10-related.

To solve the problem set correct permissions (read and execute):

sudo chmod a+rx /var/lib/dropbox/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-81.4.195/libdropbox_apex.so

and then run Dropbox again.

1 Like

@mauron - see vkareh's post earlier in this thread.

@radax05 - dragging by titlebar works fine for me, fullscreen or not.