Ubuntu MATE 20.04 Beta is out!

Beta downloaded and I'm seeding the torrent! I will be installing this on bare metal as my desktop just got a new SSD as the main drive!

1 Like

Great, have already tested the daily one.

Just a side note: it's a bit long the support :slight_smile:

support

4 Likes

Yeah, that's the intention for LTS now. Five two years is way too short for "Long-term" anyway in the server space, and for average people it usually means they don't have to deal with upgrading at all if they bounce from LTS to LTS by virtue of using a new machine.

3 Likes

Ubuntu MATE

• Offers support for 3 years for the LTS release.

Ubuntu

• Offers support for 5 years for the Ubuntu LTS release.
  • That can be extended to 10 years with Extended Security Maintenance.
4 Likes

many thanks! keep on bringin the awesome!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS Beta Testing

gdebi crashed in BETA version.

It's going to be an awesome release. MATE 1.24 has a lot of improvements and features, along with the distro itself. I'm glad that I was able to contribute to some degree. Thanks and appreciation to the team! :heart:

2 Likes

Looks like an amazing release! Really nice work, it was a joy reading that changelog. :slight_smile: That evolution-integration in the calendar looks especially nice and useful!

1 Like

Hi Wimpy,

Thank you very much for your letter.

I will renew my Ubuntu.

One question. Just in case I'll have to buy a new PC, where can I find an installation tool for Ubuntu 20.04?

You know, I'm not a computer engineer. In case of any virus, worm, malfunction, etc., my last resort is to use my (flash-jack with) Ubuntu 18.04 tool of 2 years ago. So, where to find a newer one?

Thanks again,

Igor

One of your tutorials was so helpful for updating the page (I want to say the one on verifying downloads), so thank you!! :clap: :green_heart:

1 Like

Thanks for the invitation to try Ubuntu-Mate. I installed it today on a VM and it is running very well. Since the installation I have not found any problem.

So then, should Canonical use that term public-facing and call any LTS greater than two years ESM releases? I think LTS has become more ambiguous over time, excising the ambiguity before it gets worse for people, where you have to explain one term can mean any variety of things would be great idea to reduce the likelihood of confusion when multiple LTS releases are active.

1 Like

@franksmcb Ubuntu MATE is only supported until 2023. No Flavours offer 5 years supports and no flavours are currently part of the ESM programme.

5 Likes

Sorry about that. My attempt at clarification added more confusion.
I've edited that to hopefully make it more clear.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS Beta Testing

Really nice beta release, packed full of really great stuff and already feels so polished. Thanks Ubuntu Mate team!

2 Likes

I agree - I'm basically using it as my daily driver right now... (I have a laptop with 19.10 on it just in case something fails me at a crucial time!)

2 Likes

I am currently using 18.04. I tried 19.04 and 19.10 but they were broken with the same legacy error I saw in 18.04. Obviously it is more fun to write new code than to fix bugs in old code. I have stopped reporting bugs since the reports are all removed without any attempt to fix the bugs.

No I will not try 20.04.

A Disgusted user,

Robert Pearson

Thank you guys so much for the hard work to keep improving Ubuntu mate, it's been my go to desktop for a number of years now. I will be loading up the latest version and install it on one of my machines... Big thanks

3 Likes