Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Raspberry Pi 4 Installation is stuck

Trying to install Ubuntu Mate 20.04 64 bit onto a Raspberry Pi 4. Entered WiFi, Keyboard, Language, Location, and now I've been waiting forever. Does this work or am I wasting time? I have a great wifi router and have not had issues loading Raspbian, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 20.10. Other than wanting a lightweight 64 bit OS to start with.

Can someone state how long the initial installation should take? What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for this to finish? At 2 Hours and counting.

1 Like

Good day.

Install Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1 LTS 64-bit to copy it to the sd use BalenaEtcher so it doesn't give you as much trouble as Raspberry Pi imager.
The installation takes 5 to 10 minutes, I did the installation on a Raspberry Pi 4 8 ​​GB

I don't agree on Etcher giving less trouble than Raspberry Pi Imager. Raspberry Pi Imager works just fine i used it to flash various SD-cards and SSD's. In fact i had issues with Etcher before so i won't ever be using that again.

I use dd to write the image to an SD card. The card is not the issue. Plug the card in and turn on the pi, enter WiFi, Keyboard, Language, Location, and wait. How long should it take? Is this related to it not expanding the SD Card memory prior to downloading updates?

I have successfully used dd to install FRCVision, Raspbian, Ubuntu 20.10 Desktop, Ubuntu 20.04 Server, on Pi 4's and Pi 3's using dd on linux. Expected Ubuntu-Mate 20.04 image to work too.

Does Etcher or BelenaEtcher resize the card after installing the O.S.? If so then the instructions at raspberrypi.org needs to be updated.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/linux.md

On linux
df -h To list hard drives and find drive letter for your sd card on liux.
sudo umount /dev/sdXY To unmount all the drives on the sd card so we may overwrite the image.
sha256sum imageFileName To check sha 256 sum and verify downloaded file is not corrupted.
unxz imageFileName.img.xz To remove xz compression on the downloaded image file.
dd bs=4M status=progress if=imageFileName.img of=/dev/sdX oflag=direct To write the image to SD Card

Etcher does not resize the card.

I am having a similar issue installing 20.04.1 on my Pi 3 -- the first boot hung after the resizing of the 2nd partition.