Ubuntu MATE 20.10 is out!

If 20.10 would actually install. The WiFi drivers are missing or broken in 20.10. Better luck next time.

Thanks to the MATE team for getting 20.10 out. I just upgraded a VM from 20.04 to 20.10. Everything seems to be working so far except for the login window. It is still showing me the gorilla background that is red at the top and transitions to blue at the bottom. At the bottom of the window it still says 20.04.

I'll cut this short as I finally figured out what my problem was with a couple hours of Googling. :frowning: Somehow, my system was configured to use the unity-greeter. Maybe that the was the default greeter years ago? At any rate, for those who might find this via search, use the following command to determine your current greeter:

/usr/sbin/lightdm --show-config

Now that I've fixed my system, it shows the following:

[Seat:*]
N greeter-session=arctica-greeter
B allow-guest=false

To change the greeter, as root edit the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and change the line

greeter-session=arctica-greeter

Of course, make sure that the greeter you choose is actually installed. You can see the installed greeters with the following command:

dpkg-query -l | grep greeter

Do you happen to have the Bug Report link for this issue?

Direct download link is wrong for the Raspberry Pi 20.10 iso. Should be https://releases.ubuntu-mate.org/groovy/arm64/ubuntu-mate-20.10-desktop-arm64+raspi.img.xz instead of https://releases.ubuntu-mate.org/groovy/arm64/ubuntu-mate-20.04.1-desktop-arm64+raspi.img.xz.

1 Like

Links for Raspberry Pi Groovy arm64 are broken on the download page (direct and torrent). Looks like the real filenames got a "+" that didn't parse correctly or something.

Go here to find the correct links including hash files and torrent link: https://releases.ubuntu-mate.org/groovy/arm64/

1 Like

@Utsuro @SilverZero thanks for the heads up.

These should be fixed on the downloads page.

1 Like

I really wish they continued with 32-bit UbuntuMATE, I have a 32-bit Acer Aspire One ZG5 that I have running UM 18.04. That thing is getting close to 15 years old and I still use it. Only has 1.5gb RAM and a 1.6ghz single core CPU, I still use it all the time. It is not Windows capable anymore.

1 Like

In that case, even some Ubuntu MATE fans have recommended Ubuntu's parent distribution, Debian, to me. I use it myself all the time (as well as Gentoo) and I heartily recommend it to you for that purpose -- Debian is still available not only for 32-bit Intel systems, but also for other ancient computer architectures such as the Motorola 68000 series (most notably appeared in really old Macs), Sun SPARC, and IBM S390 (a mainframe computer architecture!). One disadvantage of Debian is that you tend to have to pick and choose packages to install to a certain extent -- Debian isn't generally a "boot from live DVD and take what you get from the installation" type of system. Personally, I like that. But I don't know what your preferences are.

I stopped keeping track of bug reports after years of having the reports ignored and then closed without actually trying to do anything about them. One bug is over 5 years old and could be easily fixed since correct code is available in another app. Still not fixed.

I downloaded it and it has been less than a pleasant experience. All of my indicators are gone and I cannot get them back. LibreWriter has glitches and I lost a complete document. I will probably re-install an older version. I am a dual OS user, windows 10 and Ubuntu. I was really liking to use Ubuntu Mate until this release.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.