Ubuntu MATE 21.04 Testing Week - April 1-April 7

Is it possible to perform an upgrade from Groovy to Hirsute with a live USB or ISO image file?

Thanks for the response. I have definitely run the late stage beta images and had them turn into the regular release without issues. Just wasn't sure if the dailies would be trickier.

While testing todays ISO

Ubuntu-MATE 21.04 "Hirsute Hippo" - Beta amd64 (20210330)

I faced the following issues:

With two keyboard layouts I get –

On first login

Almost every time

On OEM install

3 Likes

Still problem with the i18n of the Ayatana-indicators...
I saw somewhere the package and it was newer than that of the daily ISO, I mean there is more languages in it.

1 Like

We would prefer that you test on the current daily image, which is linked in the OP.

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/daily-live/current/

1 Like

I have deleted my previous post.

This is my video about the test of Ubuntu Mate 21.04.

I have reported two bugs:
#1922447 Wellcome to Ubuntu Mate slideshow is not entirely in Spanish

#1922449 In Ubuntu Mate, When you Click on the release notes hyperlink you are NOT taken to the release notes wiki page

1 Like

@franps
bug #1922449 is duplicate of bug #1910871.

Here's what Brian Murray commented on the bug report.

This is because the redirect at ubuntu.com to the release notes has not yet been setup.

Sorry to insist but French has an issue too with these indicators...
Could someone please synchronize the translations?

Apologies if I post this in the wrong forum but I deem this as highly critical really want to bring this to the attention of the developers of ubuntu mate.

When using the orca screen reader on a 20.10 or 21.04 version.

At the login screen, one is unable to turn on / off orca. You hear the bongo sound which indicates your at the login screen. However alt f2 type orca or super, alt: S Which is the keystroke to again, turn on / off orca, doesn't work.

Can anyone reproduce this behaviour with the above two releases for me?

Am able to login just fine with the latest LTS release. But I don't want orca to be falling behind here. As I just like others, want to be using the latest and greatest in software!:slight_smile:
Thank you for reading.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I have reported this bug as https://pad.lv/1923253 .
Hope we will get it fixed in 21.10 or maybe earlier.

What is good - the Arctica Greeter on upcoming 21.04 can be replaced back to Slick Greeter by using the method for 20.10 manually if Orca is essential.

1 Like

Other issue:

the extension caja-admin, present on a rather visible menu, cannot be translated either on launchpad or transifex.
There are 16 languages in its Github repository, when MATE desktop holds 159 languages in its transifex project.

Issue on Ubuntu and Ubuntu MATE:

cannot choose a mirror server.
I can select Mirror for France, main server, and the third option does nothing whereas it used to lead me to a dialog where I would select the server I wanted.

@Mejans, I'm on 20210417 iso and am able to select the third option. On clicking 'Reload' after selection, it is updating cache as well.

2 Likes

Not sure if already posted but I upgraded my daily driver from groovy to hirstute yesterday and had 2 errors.

1. redshift ran twice after upgrade causing screen to flash dark red on and off, and found that there were two copies in /home/aragorn/.config/autostart
    removing one resolved the issue for me.

2. I used advanced mate menu (I think it was called) and this menu no longer exists, cannot add it. It simply was removed automatically after reboot and I had no menu. Currently I have a panel with no menu since it annoyed me it was removed and I have not decided what to add in its place. Not sure why it was taken away after upgrade but there you go.

Other than this things seem to be working.

EDIT: managed to get menu back by doing a "sudo apt-get install mate-menu"
Unsure why upgrade removed this package. Daily driver seems back to normal now.

Hi @pallebone,

mate-menu (advanced MATE menu) was removed from default install in 21.04. If I recall correctly, its codebase is hard to maintain. Please, check the video in this topic for details:

Well thats totally fine to remove it from default installs but upgrading and finding my menu was just gone from my panel was less than ideal. I guess the writings been on the wall for a while. Mate is starting to become lost in time. Nobody cares about it anymore. I just tried out gnome 40 and its incredible. I guess we had a good run - 6 years was pretty good.. Bye everyone, MATE couldnt keep up. Good luck to you all. I wont be hanging around anymore.

oh, works now. Dunno what I was doing then :expressionless:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 114 days. New replies are no longer allowed.