Ubuntu MATE 21.04 Testing Week - April 1-April 7

It's almost the end of March 2021 - spring flowers and April showers are on the horizon! :tulip: :umbrella: And so is the release of ** Ubuntu MATE 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo)!** :hippopotamus: :bug:

Thank you to everyone who has helped us with previous testing for 21.04, including the initial ISOs.
We can't say enough how important the community contributions are during these testing periods. :raised_hands:

We're getting together with Ubuntu and the other flavors for another testing week, and as you know, team work makes the dream work! :handshake: :crescent_moon: This testing week is focused on the Beta release on April 1, which is no joke! :black_joker: Final release is four weeks away, on April 22. 21.04 is an interim release, and will be supported until January 2022.

If you want to share in the excitement on social media, please use the hashtag #UbuntuTestingWeek. Ubuntu and all the flavors are all one community, and if you're able to help out other flavors, it helps all of us make awesome things. :hugs:

And if you've been nervous about testing, now is a great time to ask for help and join in! Chat with other testers on IRC (#ubuntu-quality on Freenode) or Telegram (Ubuntu Testers). Testing doesn't require any coding knowledge, can take as little as 30 minutes to complete a test case and file a report, and can be done on a VM or bare metal with a spare machine. :blue_book:

Directions and helpful hints are below, and if you have any questions, please reply to this post! :thinking:

ubuntu-flavours

Preliminary Hirsute Hippo Release Notes

You can find the test ISO here :floppy_disk: :

You can test on either a spare machine or a virtual machine, and please let us know in this thread if you encounter any problems. If at all possible please file Bug reports. The sooner we know about a problem, the sooner we can tackle it! :clock11:

If you’re new to ISO testing, or need a refresher, here’s a quick guide:

First of all, you’ll need a Launchpad/Ubuntu One login. Go here to create one if you haven’t done so already.

You’ll want to download the Hirsute Hippo daily build here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/daily-live/current/

Take a look at the testsuites for Ubuntu MATE, many of which take less than 30 minutes to complete. :clock1030:

Follow the directions in the testsuite. If it does all of those things, great! If it doesn’t, however, we need your help. Click on the link at the top of the page that reads “Report a bug against the contents of this testcase.” Sign in with your Launchpad/Ubuntu One account.

Follow the directions in the bug report, and be as specific as you can! This is a key step - an unreported bug will be an unfixed bug. :bug: :receipt:

While we don't have have the Ubuntu MATE 21.04 Release Notes available at this time, we will update this page once they are online.

There have been several updates to Ubuntu MATE packages for release in 21.04 as well as the underlying Ubuntu base packages. There are some major changes coming in this release, in addition we would like some testing focus on:

• AMD GPU issues
  • Arctica-greeter

Early testing and bug reporting will help improve the final release.

Thank you again for testing and for reporting your issues, concerns, observations, and questions in this thread! :green_heart:

You can upgrade to the developmental release using the instructions below. However we encourage testers to try the daily ISOs as much as possible. We recommend anyone who upgrades their system to the developmental version to backup first! :harddrive: If you rely on your system as your daily driver, it might be advisable to wait for the final release.

:stop_sign: Friendly reminder that developmental releases HAVE the possibility of breaking and requiring a reinstall. So please keep that in :brain: should you choose to run it as your daily driver. :stop_sign:

To upgrade, press Alt + F2, and type:

update-manager -cd

If you aren't prompted to upgrade, press Alt + F2 again, then

update-manager

and click Settings and Livepatch. Go to the Updates tab and toggle the option for 'Notify me of a new >Ubuntu version' to 'For any new version.'

Press Alt + F2 again, and then type:

update-manager -cd
4 Likes

About arctica-greeter we already have bug 1910279. It needs reaction from upstream.

UM 21.04 desktop testing maybe partially done by using X11 Docker containers.

ISO testing maybe done by running them in VirtualBox or in QEMU with quickemu.

2 Likes

Hello MATE Team. I know i'm late to the party but here are some of my results testing the 20.04. I hope it's useful to you in some way. I tested it on a VM(Gnome Boxes) so i don't know if these are reproducible on real machines.

These are the specs of my VM

Problems i found:

Which leads to my next point:

• When clicked, Notifications could open those applications who launched them

• The "Bluetooth Adapters" application could show some error message when no adapters are found just like "Bluetooth Manager" does

• The appearance of the Add startup Program window could be just a scrollable list showing all applications installed mixed with a search box on the top that would automatically filter the typed input.

• Maybe replace image formats by SVG to avoid image distortion

• Some error logs i got while testing 21.04:

ERROR: apport (pid 1672) Fri Jan 22 21:22:08 2021: called for pid 1564, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 1672) Fri Jan 22 21:22:08 2021: script: /usr/bin/redshift-gtk, interpreted by /usr/bin/python3.9 (command line "/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/redshift-gtk")
ERROR: apport (pid 1672) Fri Jan 22 21:22:09 2021: gdbus call error: Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

ERROR: apport (pid 1672) Fri Jan 22 21:22:09 2021: debug: session gdbus call:
ERROR: apport (pid 1672) Fri Jan 22 21:22:09 2021: wrote report /var/crash/_usr_bin_redshift-gtk.999.crash
ERROR: apport (pid 1838) Fri Jan 22 21:22:10 2021: called for pid 1824, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 1838) Fri Jan 22 21:22:10 2021: script: /usr/bin/redshift-gtk, interpreted by /usr/bin/python3.9 (command line "/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/redshift-gtk")
ERROR: apport (pid 1838) Fri Jan 22 21:22:10 2021: gdbus call error: Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

ERROR: apport (pid 1838) Fri Jan 22 21:22:10 2021: debug: session gdbus call:
ERROR: apport (pid 1838) Fri Jan 22 21:22:10 2021: apport: report /var/crash/_usr_bin_redshift-gtk.999.crash already exists and unseen, doing nothing to avoid disk usage DoS
ERROR: apport (pid 1874) Fri Jan 22 21:22:11 2021: called for pid 1866, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 1874) Fri Jan 22 21:22:11 2021: script: /usr/bin/redshift-gtk, interpreted by /usr/bin/python3.9 (command line "/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/redshift-gtk")
ERROR: apport (pid 1874) Fri Jan 22 21:22:11 2021: gdbus call error: Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

ERROR: apport (pid 1874) Fri Jan 22 21:22:11 2021: debug: session gdbus call:
ERROR: apport (pid 1874) Fri Jan 22 21:22:11 2021: apport: report /var/crash/_usr_bin_redshift-gtk.999.crash already exists and unseen, doing nothing to avoid disk usage DoS
ERROR: apport (pid 1887) Fri Jan 22 21:22:12 2021: called for pid 1878, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 1887) Fri Jan 22 21:22:12 2021: script: /usr/bin/redshift-gtk, interpreted by /usr/bin/python3.9 (command line "/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/redshift-gtk")
ERROR: apport (pid 1887) Fri Jan 22 21:22:12 2021: gdbus call error: Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

ERROR: apport (pid 1887) Fri Jan 22 21:22:12 2021: debug: session gdbus call:
ERROR: apport (pid 1887) Fri Jan 22 21:22:12 2021: apport: report /var/crash/_usr_bin_redshift-gtk.999.crash already exists and unseen, doing nothing to avoid disk usage DoS
ERROR: apport (pid 1937) Fri Jan 22 21:22:13 2021: called for pid 1893, signal 11, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 1937) Fri Jan 22 21:22:13 2021: script: /usr/bin/redshift-gtk, interpreted by /usr/bin/python3.9 (command line "/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/redshift-gtk")
ERROR: apport (pid 1937) Fri Jan 22 21:22:13 2021: gdbus call error: Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

ERROR: apport (pid 1937) Fri Jan 22 21:22:13 2021: debug: session gdbus call:
ERROR: apport (pid 1937) Fri Jan 22 21:22:13 2021: apport: report /var/crash/_usr_bin_redshift-gtk.999.crash already exists and unseen, doing nothing to avoid disk usage DoS
ERROR: apport (pid 12806) Sat Jan 23 03:00:12 2021: called for pid 12797, signal 5, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 12806) Sat Jan 23 03:00:12 2021: script: /usr/bin/orca, interpreted by /usr/bin/python3.9 (command line "/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/orca --replace")
ERROR: apport (pid 12806) Sat Jan 23 03:00:12 2021: debug: session gdbus call: (true,)

ERROR: apport (pid 12806) Sat Jan 23 03:00:13 2021: wrote report /var/crash/_usr_bin_orca.999.crash
ERROR: apport (pid 12823) Sat Jan 23 03:00:17 2021: called for pid 12818, signal 5, core limit 0, dump mode 1
ERROR: apport (pid 12823) Sat Jan 23 03:00:17 2021: script: /usr/bin/orca, interpreted by /usr/bin/python3.9 (command line "/usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/orca --replace")
ERROR: apport (pid 12823) Sat Jan 23 03:00:17 2021: debug: session gdbus call: (true,)

ERROR: apport (pid 12823) Sat Jan 23 03:00:17 2021: apport: report /var/crash/_usr_bin_orca.999.crash already exists and unseen, doing nothing to avoid disk usage DoS

Again, i don't know if these errors can be reproduced on a real machine but that's all i got while testing 21.04.

Hope it gives the team some insights and let me know if i tested something the wrong way

Thank you so much for your hard work, i really enjoy Ubuntu MATE and only want it to get better and better. It's been my daily driver since 16.04 so i really like the distro. With that said, let me know if there's some info missing or anything. Have a nice weekend folks :+1:

5 Likes

So I tried this in a Virtual Machine in Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.18 on a MacBook Air running the latest version of Big Sur, I encounter a fatal error when I try to log in to the desktop. This happens after I install the Virtualbox Guest Editions CD image.

The desktop remains black after I successfully input my password, and it stays black for hours. So I tried to reinstall the desktop environment from the root shell in GRUB, no errors. I tried to log in after that, then I encountered another error, but this time I think I have encountered my first kernel panic.

1 Like

Quick noob question about these test images: assuming I am aware and OK with using a test image as my as my main OS (to try out the latest and help report things), is it safe to assume that once the release is official my computer will be up to date and "clean" as would be an install of the final image? Or would there be a bunch of buggy clutter left over from the development phase that would justify another wipe and install?

If you install a daily of any release (eg. hirsute), and upgrade it normally (eg. normal sudo apt update to update software lists, and sudo apt full-upgrade to upgrade packages), it'll become 21.04 a few hours (even day or so) before the actual release (which I think of as the release of the official ISOs).

This late stage of the process I doubt there would be any clutter, though it's always possible (I wouldn't expect any).

FYI: My actual install was back in the artful (17.10) days, upgraded every 6 months so now on hirsute but next month I'll bump to the i-something release as is usual. In theory I'd explore my system looking for orphaned packages after a release has gone EOL, (eg. once groovy is EOL, I look for groovy packages) which can be somewhat easily detected using ubuntu-security-status etc but I don't always do it; I've not found it a problem. My 2c anyway

3 Likes

Is it possible to perform an upgrade from Groovy to Hirsute with a live USB or ISO image file?

Thanks for the response. I have definitely run the late stage beta images and had them turn into the regular release without issues. Just wasn't sure if the dailies would be trickier.

While testing todays ISO

Ubuntu-MATE 21.04 "Hirsute Hippo" - Beta amd64 (20210330)

I faced the following issues:

With two keyboard layouts I get –

On first login

Almost every time

On OEM install

3 Likes

Still problem with the i18n of the Ayatana-indicators...
I saw somewhere the package and it was newer than that of the daily ISO, I mean there is more languages in it.

1 Like

We would prefer that you test on the current daily image, which is linked in the OP.

http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/daily-live/current/

1 Like

I have deleted my previous post.

This is my video about the test of Ubuntu Mate 21.04.

I have reported two bugs:
#1922447 Wellcome to Ubuntu Mate slideshow is not entirely in Spanish

#1922449 In Ubuntu Mate, When you Click on the release notes hyperlink you are NOT taken to the release notes wiki page

1 Like

@franps
bug #1922449 is duplicate of bug #1910871.

Here's what Brian Murray commented on the bug report.

This is because the redirect at ubuntu.com to the release notes has not yet been setup.

Sorry to insist but French has an issue too with these indicators...
Could someone please synchronize the translations?

Apologies if I post this in the wrong forum but I deem this as highly critical really want to bring this to the attention of the developers of ubuntu mate.

When using the orca screen reader on a 20.10 or 21.04 version.

At the login screen, one is unable to turn on / off orca. You hear the bongo sound which indicates your at the login screen. However alt f2 type orca or super, alt: S Which is the keystroke to again, turn on / off orca, doesn't work.

Can anyone reproduce this behaviour with the above two releases for me?

Am able to login just fine with the latest LTS release. But I don't want orca to be falling behind here. As I just like others, want to be using the latest and greatest in software!:slight_smile:
Thank you for reading.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I have reported this bug as https://pad.lv/1923253 .
Hope we will get it fixed in 21.10 or maybe earlier.

What is good - the Arctica Greeter on upcoming 21.04 can be replaced back to Slick Greeter by using the method for 20.10 manually if Orca is essential.

1 Like

Other issue:

the extension caja-admin, present on a rather visible menu, cannot be translated either on launchpad or transifex.
There are 16 languages in its Github repository, when MATE desktop holds 159 languages in its transifex project.