Ubuntu MATE 21.04 Testing Week - April 1-April 7

Issue on Ubuntu and Ubuntu MATE:

cannot choose a mirror server.
I can select Mirror for France, main server, and the third option does nothing whereas it used to lead me to a dialog where I would select the server I wanted.

@Mejans, I'm on 20210417 iso and am able to select the third option. On clicking 'Reload' after selection, it is updating cache as well.

2 Likes

Not sure if already posted but I upgraded my daily driver from groovy to hirstute yesterday and had 2 errors.

1. redshift ran twice after upgrade causing screen to flash dark red on and off, and found that there were two copies in /home/aragorn/.config/autostart
    removing one resolved the issue for me.

2. I used advanced mate menu (I think it was called) and this menu no longer exists, cannot add it. It simply was removed automatically after reboot and I had no menu. Currently I have a panel with no menu since it annoyed me it was removed and I have not decided what to add in its place. Not sure why it was taken away after upgrade but there you go.

Other than this things seem to be working.

EDIT: managed to get menu back by doing a "sudo apt-get install mate-menu"
Unsure why upgrade removed this package. Daily driver seems back to normal now.

Hi @pallebone,

mate-menu (advanced MATE menu) was removed from default install in 21.04. If I recall correctly, its codebase is hard to maintain. Please, check the video in this topic for details:

Well thats totally fine to remove it from default installs but upgrading and finding my menu was just gone from my panel was less than ideal. I guess the writings been on the wall for a while. Mate is starting to become lost in time. Nobody cares about it anymore. I just tried out gnome 40 and its incredible. I guess we had a good run - 6 years was pretty good.. Bye everyone, MATE couldnt keep up. Good luck to you all. I wont be hanging around anymore.

oh, works now. Dunno what I was doing then :expressionless:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 114 days. New replies are no longer allowed.