Ubuntu MATE 21.10 reaches end of life

As of July 14, 2022 Ubuntu MATE 21.10 has reached EOL (End of Life) and is no longer supported. There will be no more updates or security patches for this release.

Being an interim release, these are only supported for 9 months.

How do I check?

See which version you are running by opening the :monitor: System Monitor and checking the System tab.

Still using 21.10?

The upgrade path will be to the current LTS release, 22.04, supported until April 2025. To upgrade, open :update: Software Updater and follow the steps.

Or alternately, via the :terminal: Terminal:

sudo do-release-upgrade
5 Likes

You made a mistake. It is supposed to be 'The upgrade path will be to the current lts release, 22.04**, supported until April 2025.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I am still relatively new to Linux and coming from Mint, but I like all the configurations with Ubuntu Mate and have been using it lately, with the Pantheon desktop environment.

Why won't it work for me?
How do I fix it?

Screenshot at 2022-06-15 14-40-53

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi Josephus,

Be sure to run the updater first

Then try this:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

TKN, Thanks for your reply.

You mean like this?

sudo apt-get update

before

Thanks again

Hi Josephus,

Almost right :slight_smile:
These are the commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
1 Like

Thank you Bill, I'm running MINT 20.3, will this affect me?

You will gather from the request I am not well informed, just a simple user,

Cheers,

Harry.

No, you're fine; you do not need to be concerned.

Linux Mint is never based around Ubuntu MATE, even the MATE Edition of Mint.

Even though some people (very loosely and sloppily) refer to Ubuntu MATE as simply "MATE", "Mate" (or sometimes just "mate"), "MATE" refers to the "desktop environment" installed on the Linux distribution in question. Ubuntu MATE, therefore, is Ubuntu with a MATE desktop (and some tweaks here and there); Linux Mint MATE is unrelated except for the choice of desktop.

3 Likes

TKN A special thanks for your efforts.
I am trying it on my spare as I type...looks like it's workiing
Thanks a million!

Didn't work all the way through t 1st time, but definitely loading up the new OS...
I just started the long process...won't know for sure until a while, but looks good now! Once that works, It's new OS time for the "real" Desktop!
Thanks!

Thank you Gordon for your prompt and most informative reply.

I have only the sketchiest grasp of Linux, but would defend it "To the
death" against any other system.

I used Windows from 3.11 right through to NT and eventually XP and then
"7". I changed across to Ubuntu initially when Windows started telling
what I could and could not run. When I started with my first NUC I
changed to MINT.

Thank you again it is appreciated,

Cheers,

Harry.

Thank you for your prompt and most informative reply.

I have only the sketchiest grasp of Linux, but would defend it "To the
death" against any other system.

I used Windows from 3.11 right through to NT and eventually XP and then
"7". I changed across to Ubuntu initially when Windows started telling
what I could and could not run. When I started with my first NUC I
changed to MINT Cinnamon.

Thank you again it is appreciated,

Cheers,

Harry.

It worked great on my "test" PC (Dell Optiplex 980), so I confidently installed it on my Deskto (Dell Optiplex 7010)...BAD move! In the end when I rebooted, it all came back dark...reboot again...all dark again.

Recently I made a Timeshift backup on a USB drive...I reboted from Mate 20.04 Install disk, got Timeshift from"Software" and installed. Ran Timeshift, copied Thumdrive file, rebboted and back to 20.04. That's when I breathed again.

I probably will not work on this again for a while..Enough unnecessary panic attacks for one night...Maybe wait until the "official" upgrade comes out through "Software Updater".

The only question left "Why did it work on the older computer? "...I'm guessing it's just another chapter my never ending fight with hi tech.

And, perhaps most important, never overestimate the power of the backup!

I checked specs of the Dell Optiplex 7010 and I more or less expected to find an NVidia GPU (which always give these kind of troubles) but "lo and behold" it is an integrated intel GPU.

I'm actually very surprised (and a bit worried) because i've never encountered any showstopping graphical problems on ANY intel GPU.

This is a pretty serious problem indeed. Care enough to file a bug on launchpad ? :slight_smile:

TKN, I'm done with this for now....you can file a report if you wish.

I like Mate except it will not wake up from sleep on my comp

Hi,
Any news about the Ubuntu MATE 22.04 for Raspberry Pi 4 (arm64) ? Any release date ?
I am using version 21.10 on my RPi 4 but no newer version is offered.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.