Ubuntu MATE 24.04.1 LTS Released

@Omnimaxus I had one additional thought. What theme are you using? I use YaruOk. Might be possible that the theme is causing the framing issues you observe. You can try YaruOk, or identify which theme you use, and I'll give it a try and report if I see any framing of applets.

1 Like

@guyr, @Omnimaxus, @radax,

For the "framing" issue, I will take an educated guess that the issue is with a recent update to "adwaita", because I use the following for theming:

• Yaru-bark-dark for controls,
  • BlackMATE-border for window borders, and
  • Humanity-Dark for icons,

and adwaita is at the core of the controls (behaviour methods in XML) for Yaru-based.

2 Likes

@Omnimaxus I'm creating a separate reply, since readers may not be notified if I modify one of my previous responses. I already had a bare Ubuntu MATE 24.04 VM, using the YaruOk theme. I followed your instructions in your other post: What is this? (New bug in panel)

I want to report that I am seeing the border around the Inhibit applet when I click one of the icons in the Indicator applet! However, this only happens to me under very specific circumstances, but for me, is repeatedly reproducible:

1. Add some launchers to the panel. I have one for Firefox and one for MATE Terminal.
  2. Now add the Indicator Applet to the panel, and finally add the Inhibit Applet to the Panel.
  3. Now, right-click the Inhibit Applet, and select Move. Move it just a tiny bit.
  4. Next, click any of the icons in the Indicator Applet. The frame is drawn around the Inhibit Applet.
  5. Next, click one of the launchers from step 1. I clicked Terminal.
  6. Now go back to the Indicator Applet and click any icon. The framing no longer appears around the Inhibit Applet. Close the window you opened in step 5. Still, clicking any icon in the Indicator Applet does not cause framing in the Inhibit Applet.
  7. Return to step 3, repeat as often as desired. Framing of the Inhibit Applet returns upon clicking any of the Indicator Applet icons.

I think I may have an idea what is happening here - I did a lot of development work on Windows, but not as much with Linux desktop apps. When I move the Inhibit Applet, that applet now has the input focus; that's developer-speak, and it means that the UI item with the focus gets all the keyboard and mouse input until the focus is claimed by another UI element. The icons in the Indicator Applet do NOT appear to grab the focus when you click them. That would be a design decision; since they are only indicators, they don't normally need the input focus. Well, since they don't grab the focus, that means the focus is still on the Inhibit Applet. So, when you click an icon in the Indicator Applet, the frame gets drawn around the Inhibit Applet to show that it has the focus!

With a repeatable test case, you should be able to submit a bug report. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Just another informational notice...

Upgrades from 22.04 LTS to 24.04 LTS are no longer open... No official notice yet exists (I'll amend this when I have one), so for now I'll use

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-release/2024-September/006225.html

the upgrade was disabled due to a critical bug in ubuntu-release-upgrader in the way it's using the apt solver. This is being worked on and as soon as this is fixed, we'll re-enable the upgrades.

We're also working on an announcement post/mail so that people are aware.

As 24.04 or noble has been removed from https://changelogs.ubuntu.com/meta-release , if you don't want to wait, you'll need to use the -d option for force upgrade; but waiting until it's open would be a safer alternative.

4 Likes

Hi, @guyr - thank you so much for the in-depth post here. Thank you again. I have already filed a bug report on Launchpad. I also took the step of e-mailing the project lead for Ubuntu MATE. I'd say I've done all I can. I hope someone notices this issue, too, and patches it for everyone.

1 Like

I add mate-themes and us TraditionalOK. I really dislike all yaru themes.

@jymm The great thing about Linux is the wide variety of choices - we can each select what we like. Take a look at YaruOk. It looks and acts very much like TraditionalOk, which is why I selected it. I have no insider info, but I think the Yaru themes might replace the Traditional themes at some point. If you wonder why, since the Traditional themes are working, someone needs to maintain these themes as the platform evolves.

@guiverc I just tonight booted my Ubuntu MATE boot installation, and it offered me to upgrade to 24.04. So, apparently, the upgrade has been reopened.

1 Like

Yep, @ricmarques reported as such "Upgrades to Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS are enabled again" on this site.

4 Likes

I can confirm that by following your 7 steps I see the same behavior in my Ubuntu MATE 22.04.5 desktop Intel NUC, so it's not a new bug. Although I'm puzzled why I never noticed it before.

For completeness sake, my desktop customization is:

• Controls: Yaru-blue
  • Window border: Atlanta
  • Icons: Yaru
  • Pointer: Yaru

Thank you for sharing. I hope this bug gets fixed. It's shocking.